Chapter Forty Three: Pressure Times Four

Early Release Times Two! 🥰🥰 I can't help but spoil my besties. 💜🫶🏾

Story:

I was with the guys inside the house, making products while the guards stood watch outside. I inquired about the progress of the construction classes and other matters. They reported that everything was going well. They mentioned that they were raising foundations with the villagers for their homes just as I had guided them to, based on my drawings.

They also shared that they took part in training sessions alongside James and Harvey. This rotation helped them take turns protecting me on specific days. I was already aware of these training sessions because I would observe through the mark.

Steve and John knocked on the door, catching the attention of the guys. They glanced at me, and I returned their looks with a smile, appreciating their respectfulness. I nodded in approval, and they ushered the boys inside.

"Hi boys, how are you?" I greeted them.

They both responded, "Good."

John then inquired, "Imara, are you planning to build your home on higher foundations as well?"

I began, "Well, you guys, know that I plan on moving to the city, I wasn't sure, but now that I think—"

Before I could finish, their response wasn't what I anticipated. They all wore expressions of sadness, which caught me off guard.

I quickly asked, "What's the matter? Did I say something wrong?"

Steve spoke up, "Will you ever come back to Camel Hump?"

I explained, "Why wouldn't I? I would like to come and visit the girls from time to time, so I'm thinking maybe building it on a higher platform may not be such a bad idea for those occasions."

But instead of reassurance, their expressions grew even sadder. I felt a pang in my heart. Confusion set in, and I spoke up, genuinely puzzled, "I really don't know what I'm saying wrong, guys. What's the matter? Tell me." I looked at each of them, seeking an answer.

John's words took me by surprise. "Imara, you're really too kind to us males. I know me and Steve can't pursue you anymore. But at least we were able to see you here in Camel Hump. But once you leave, none of us will be able to see you anymore."

I was utterly perplexed. "What? Why—" My voice trailed off, struggling to comprehend the weight of their words.

Frank's stance was tense, his hands clenched, and the emotion on his face was unmistakable. He spoke with a heavy heart, "You have made it more than clear that you didn't view us as potential mates."

Nicholas visibly flinched.

Frank continued, avoiding eye contact with me, "John and Steve lost the fight against Harvey, so they have to honor that."

He looked around the room, his gaze anywhere but at me, as he went on, "Once you leave, we will have no reason to see you anymore. Only males in pursuit of a female can follow you, and once she turns them down, the males have to back down. Now, some males hang on in hopes she will like him over time, but we...we know you well enough, Imara. There is no chance for us, so eventually, this will be goodbye." His voice faltered, and it was evident he was struggling to convey these emotions.

"But we're friends, we're fam—" I began, but my voice trailed off. There was a profound sadness in my heart, and a hint of stress hung in the air. I'd automatically assumed they would come, and help set up, stay for awhile, then visit me and Harvey when we fully moved to the City of Beast, and now I felt conflicted.

I understood their perspective now that everything was out in the open, they wanted more, but I viewed them as my friends, my family. I was momentarily lost for words.