|61|

|JANIA|
22 weeks, 3 days

"Chocolate chip pancakes, extra whipped cream and no berries for you." I set the plate down onto the table in front a kid with a blue baseball cap on. He's got a grin on his face big enough to make anybody smile with him.

He hit his first home run the other day and to celebrate, his father brought him to the restaurant.

"Thank you, Miss."

"You're welcome, honey. And for you, here's your quarter pound beef burger with no onions, extra mayonnaise and light ketchup." I set the food down in front of his father. "Anything else I can get for you guys?"

"Nope. We're all set. Thanks."

"No problem. I'll be back to check in shortly."

I walk to the back and stand by the cracked window. I fan myself with a menu as my manager comes back.

"Take a seat and drink some water now, Jah. You gotta keep yourself hydrated, mama."

"I am. I just need to breathe for a second." I sit down in a chair and the chef comes by and hands me the grilled cheese I asked for twenty minutes ago. "Thank you, Jeff."

"You're welcome. Gon head and feed that baby. We need her nice and chunky."

"Mhm." My manager agrees with her brother. "Soon as she hit them six, seven months and she can start eating some food, wheeww boy. We gonna be in here chowing down."

"All types of stuff. I'll make her a little rib plate with cornbread and some yams." Jeffrey says as he starts another order in the kitchen. "Cause you know she be addicted to cornbread the way her momma eat it." He looks at my manager and they laugh.

"Sho' is. But that's okay cause cornbread is good when you need to get some weight on you. I'll tell you that." She points to me and I smile.

The atmosphere at work is always fun. Except the days when that one coworker I can't stand be here. But other than that, it's always fun. Everybody's nice, they mind their business, we look out for each other. It's like a work family.

"Are you having a baby shower, mama?" Jeffrey asks as he slaps some burgers onto the grill.

"Yeah. In December though. Hoseok is gonna be busy all next month with his business and stuff so we don't want to swamp him."

"Okay, okay. You need a chef? Cause you know I'll make sure everybody eat."

Jeffrey is very old school. Being 52 years old and still vibrant, full of life, he's always looking out for people. He says that he does it the way that he wishes somebody would've done it for him.

He always makes sure people are fed, for one. That's his number one thing. Nobody leaves anywhere that he's at without a plate. He always makes sure people are safe as well.

If he's on the night shit, Jeffrey waits with the people waiting for a ride. Or if they don't have one, he gets them home. He's a very kind soul and we're lucky to have him here. I'm lucky to know him. 

"I'm not sure, actually. My homegirl usually makes food with her dad. But she just had the baby not too long ago, remember? So I don't want to ask her to make food for the baby shower because she's also helping to plan it so I don't want to overwhelm her."

Hoseok told me that he got in contact with Adonis's sister Tara, who Yuki was actually already looking at to help plan the baby shower anyway. So those two are on it and have been checking in with me to ask what I want and things like that.

I know that Namjoon's dad will for sure be at the grill. The moms will probably be managing games and decor. So maybe we could use another grill man.

"You know what? Yeah." I tell Jeffrey. "It's gonna be you and my friend's dad. He'll probably make most of the food the night before but I don't know exactly how many people are coming. Hoseok knows more people than I do so he'll do most of the inviting."