|16|

|THIRD|

"Jania, are you ready?"

"Yeah, I'm coming. I'm putting my shoes on." She slips her sandals onto her feet and walks downstairs. Hoseok raises a brow at her as she comes into view. The dress that she has on hugs her body as she walks by him.

He grabs his keys and they get in his car to leave. Jania puts on Summer Walker as they drive. Hoseok finds her singing to the songs amusing.

They pull into Namjoon and Yuki's driveway and he turns down the music before turning the car off. They get out and Jania unlocks the front door.

It's a very last minute celebration but Namjoon and Yuki still pulled it together. It's a small, intimate gathering that they didn't have to spend much money to do. All of the big things are saved for the NYC trip.

For now, they've settled for a get together with no alcohol and lots of food.

"And the birthday girl has arrived!" Jania's father says dramatically as they walk in the house. She hugs him and then introduces him to Hoseok. They shake hands firmly and her father smiles at him.

"I hope you're taking care of my sugar bear."

"When she lets me." Hoseok says and her father laughs.

Her mother walks over with an expectant look on her face. Jania introduces her to Hoseok and they shake hands.

"She not bleeding you dry, is she?"

Hoseok takes into account the difference in how her parents mentioned her. He doesn't read into it, just notices.

"No. She mostly pays for all of her own stuff." He lets her know. "Or we split the cost."

Her mother makes a face as if she's impressed. "She ain't pay for a thing when she was living with me. I thought she was gonna move out a few years ago when she turned 21. Paris did. I guess she needed a little more time."

Jania looks at her mother trying to figure out what she's trying to prove. Hoseok speaks up before she can open her mouth.

"Maybe she needed it. Everybody moves at their own pace. At least she's thriving in her own space now." He says as he smiles at her.

He really is proud that she got all of her things together in the matter of a month to move. That's something that he wouldn't have been able to do right away. He's a bit of a procrastinator.

Jania wants to hear no more of anything that her mother has to say. It seems that she's trying to embarrass her at her own party. She doesn't have the patience for it, she will leave this entire thing. She didn't even want to have it anyway.

She walks away and Yuki meets her in the living room. Hoseok follows not too far behind and daps Namjoon up.

"Happy Birthday, Jah." Yuki hugs her and then Joon does, telling her happy birthday as well.

She thanks them for doing this on such short notice. They both know how her mother is so they were happy to help.

"Wait until you see the cake. It's so pretty." Yuki spills and Hoseok smacks his teeth.

"Be quiet. I can't tell you nothing." He says as he laughs. Yuki gives an abashed smile but is still excited.

"Hey, guys."

Jania eyes slide over and see Paris walking over holding her daughter. Jin walks next to her as they approach.

"Hi." She replies dryly and Yuki pokes her in the back, reminding her to play nice. Jania takes the hint and fakes enthusiasm.