chapter forty three

Start from the beginning

Billie acted playfully offended and crossed her arms over her chest.

"That's not a problem, man." Mark patted him on the shoulder. "That's an adventure."

That day, Billie wasn't towing all of her interns like usual. She had sent them to work on the clinic except for Robbie and John, who were following her close behind as she made her way down the hallway speedily.

She soon arrived at the ER, following a personal page from Mark. She had been told there had been an explosion in an apartment building and many victims were supposed to be coming in, so Billie immediately guided her two interns to follow her into Trauma Room One. Already in there, Callie and Mark were working, echoed by Izzie, who stood by the door, unsure about what to do. Billie huffed at the sight of her.

"Hello, Mr..." Mark leant over the man on the table.

"Roche. Archie Roche," he replied.

Billie grabbed the chart and handed it to John, who began presenting. "Age sixty, second and third-degree burns on the chest and upper abdomen, facial contusions and possible shoulder fracture."

"I was reading the sports section, next, I'm flat on my back looking up at a hole in the ceiling in Dave and Marla's apartment," Archie said.

"Burns should be debrided." Mark nodded.

"On it. Keys, go get me some forceps, monofilament pads, scissors and a laser," Billie ordered, causing the mentioned intern to immediately rush out of the room in the seek for said instruments.

"We'll do a trauma series and shoulder films. Stevens!" Callie called, examining the patient's shoulder.

"Got it."

"Rogers, what are the most important things while assessing trauma?" Billie asked as she started an IV.

"Airway, breathing, circulation, disability and exposure."

"And what are those?"

"First, you check the airway by making sure the patient has active breathing and can reply clearly. Once the airway is secured, ventilation should be assessed. Circulation follows, which is hemorrhage control and maintaining adequate perfusion. Then, the patient's neurologic function is prioritized and lastly, all clothing should be removed off the patient for exposure and visual assessment of all injures." John nodded, finishing his statement.

"Excellent," Billie said, then leant into Archie. "Sir, I need you to tell me where your pain is."

"Just promise me you'll take care of Marla and the baby, okay?" he said hoarsely.

"Are they your family, sir?"

Archie looked up at them. "They might as well be."

While scans on Archie Roche were coming up, Billie got a 911 page from Cristina, to which she rushed to her aid. However, when she found her leaning against the wall, she was confused.

"Hey, what's the 911?" she asked just as Meredith arrived, panting slightly.

"What is it?" She frowned.

"Mama is here," Cristina said.

"Your mother?"

"No, no, no. Mama. Mama is here."

Billie took a second. "Wait, Burke's mother? Crap."

"Yeah, make the synapses fire a little more quickly, guys." Cristina rolled her eyes.