My sweetest child; if my love for you sufficed, I wouldn't be gone.

Seconds later, the machine flatlined. That was the last thing Billie remembered before her life crumbled down to her feet.

That morning, Billie sat on Denny's bed like she'd done countless mornings before, waiting for him to wake up. She took comfort in his heaving chest, but she couldn't help but constantly glance over at the monitor to make sure his heart was still beating. This situation reminded her an awful lot to one she'd experienced years ago.

When her uncle opened his eyes, Billie jumped and finally let go of all the air she was subconsciously holding. Denny smiled when he saw her and swallowed bitterly to clear his throat.

"Hi, kid."

Billie didn't pay mind, "You were sleeping. I don't like that."

"How come?" Denny frowned, unable to quite discern her point.

"You don't sleep in hospitals, you know why," she said, biting the corner of her lip anxiously.

Denny chuckled, "Oh, honey, I'm okay. For now, I'm okay. So, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

Billie relaxed a little at his playful tone, even if she'd obviously never really feel comfortable with the fact that Denny was dying. She sighed out.

"I had a dream last night. About mom."

Her uncle's expression fell ever the slightest at the mention, enough for Billie to notice, although he did his best at downplaying it. He stayed silent to leave room for her to keep talking.

"I was in New York, at the hospital... you know." She shrugged her shoulders. "Dad was there. Ian too."

"Okay. And what happened?"

"She died." Billie laughed nervously, although pronouncing the last word with a shake to her voice. "Again. She died, but it was... I don't know, it happened exactly like it did in real life."

Denny stayed silent, unsure of what to say. Billie bit the corner of her lip anxiously and looked down at her crossed legs, starting to toy with a loose thread on her uncle's blanket. He watched her intently.

"I miss her," she finally said with a sigh.

"I know you do, kid. I miss her too. More than you can imagine."

Billie nodded her head, but still didn't look into his eyes just because the sadness he housed behind them was too much for her to handle. She glanced over at the red thread around her ring finger and the memories gave her a feeling of certainty. She decided to change the topic.

"Anyways, uh... I saw Izzie coming out of your room last night," she accused with an arched eyebrow. "Anything to say about it?"

Denny smiled slightly and shrugged his shoulders, "I don't think so, no."

"Denny!" she scolded, throwing her arms in the air. "She's twenty-six! God, she's a child. You're, like, a perv. I told you not to fall for her."

"Oh, c'mon! You would fall for her too."

"No, I would most definitely not."

Denny chuckled silently and she joined him in on the laughter, but after they toned down, she checked the clock above the door and huffed.

"I gotta go. Rounds." She stood up and kissed Denny's forehead. "Don't go anywhere, I'll be back tonight."

He raised his palms to prove himself innocent, "I won't."