Appreciation

An early summer storm settled over the city causing some sporadic flash floods and numerous power outages that left parts of Detroit entirely dark. The precinct had lost power twice that morning and had been forced to rely solely on the emergency back-up generators to keep the holding cells locked and the necessary terminals functional. While most of the city sought shelter indoors away from the storm, a few wayward drivers who were on the road for one reason or another still ended up in the ditch or stranded due to flooding. The stranded people meant several patrol cars, drones and rescue personnel from the fire departments had the misfortune of dealing with the storm in person.

With criminals seemingly calling off due to the harsh weather the precinct was relatively calm and quiet. It only got busy or loud when someone returned from patrol to change shifts or help a stranded motorist get to shelter.

"Need a little help here." Chris called out as he carried Jack inside the front precinct doors at his side. There was a faint smear of blue blood on the floor following after the duo as they walked through the bullpen. The blond deviant had suffered severe damage to his lower right leg and needed assistance in walking as Chris carried him into the bullpen to receive help. "We need a technician, or at least a hand."

Connor rose from his desk and took Jack's arm on the opposite side of Chris to drape around his shoulders and help support Jack's weight. "What happened?"

"A car stalled at an intersection." Chris explained rather casually on Jack's behalf. "When we pushed it out of the way Jack ended up losing his footing on a slick patch of the road and got his leg caught under the car's back tires."

"I'm glad it wasn't far worse." In real-time Connor received a cybernetic update regarding an emergency call and scanned the bullpen. The only other officer currently available at the moment was Tina. The Lieutenant gave Chris a new order and took all of Jack's weight from the Sergeant's shoulders. "There is a possible domestic dispute in progress. Take Tina and check it out, I'll help Jack get up to the dispensary."

"Right." Chris obeyed the order and nodded at his damaged partner as he let his right arm go. "I'll see you in a few hours, Jack."

Jack acknowledged Chris's comment in a cold flat tone. "I will remain here until I've received proper maintenance."

Escorting Jack over to the elevator Connor held the deviant upright in the elevator car while they ascended to the second floor. Once the elevator doors parted Connor helped his fellow deviant officer limp into the dispensary to have his leg tended to by Joel. It was easy for the strong deviant to help lift Jack up onto the exam table while Joel began assessing the damage to Jack's broken right leg.

"How severe is the damage?" Connor asked as he watched the technician cut open the Thirium soaked pant leg covering Jack's damaged leg. "Can he continue to function through the day?"

"Pretty bad," the technician admitted just from a visual assessment. "but I can still patch him up from here and he won't need to see a specialist."

"How long will he be on the injured reserved list?"

"Six or seven hours."

"Very well. I'll make a note of it on the daily report."

"Right. I'll send you an update when I know more."

"Thanks, Joel. We'll see you soon, Jack."

"I'll return as soon as I can, Lieutenant." The second deviant stated as Joel set to work on his leg. "I'll be sure to let Chris know as soon as I'm capable of returning to work."

Returning to the elevator Connor stepped inside and found himself standing beside Gavin as the Sergeant fumbled with an electronic tablet that was struggling to remain properly powered up during the sporadic power outages courtesy of the storm. The elevator doors slid shut and the elevator car began a steady descent back to the ground floor, only to shudder and stop short as the lights overhead flickered out.