Going South

With a stern focus in his soulful brown eyes Connor grabbed onto the handle of his fully packed black tinted backpack and hefted the strap over his right shoulder with a single swift motion. Turning to look at the opened doorway to his bedroom the deviant noticed Sumo watching him with sad eyes and promptly patted the foot of his perfectly made bed to call the dog over to him. Slowly the massive dog entered the bedroom and hopped up onto the soft quilt to lay down and he gave Connor a soft whimper for his troubles. It wasn't often that Connor left the house with a packed bag, but whenever he did Sumo knew the deviant would be gone for a few days.

Having recovered from his previous illness Connor began to fully focus on the odd behavior regarding deviants in Miami. He didn't know what was happening in the distant city but Connor was determined to figure it out and then come back to Detroit where he belonged.

"I'll be back in a few weeks, Sumo. I won't be gone forever." Rubbing the dog's ears softly with his left Connor glanced about his bedroom, taking in every minor detail and making sure that he didn't forget to bring anything important with him before he left. His aquarium would be taken care of by Hank during his prolonged absence. "And when I'm back I'll take you for a walk all over the city."

A subtle knocking on his opened door frame took Connor's eyes from Sumo and over to where Hank was now standing. He could tell by the look in Hank's blue eyes that he wasn't thrilled about his impending departure either. "Hey, kid."

"Hi, Hank. Am I in the clear to perform this investigation?"

"You've been officially cleared for a six week long leave of absence and 'unofficially' you've been cleared to investigate key locations in the Miami area. That guy from the F.B.I who took care of Perkins for us a while back, uh... What was his name again?"

"F.B.I. Director Norman Jayden."

"Yeah, that's him." Hank confirmed in a low voice. "He'll wait for your signal before he makes a move toward the city, so you won't be able to rely on back-up while you're down there without breaking your cover. Are you sure you really want to do this?"

"Yes. I need to know what is happening to androids and why there have been so many androids abducted and mutilated for spare parts."

"All right." Anxiously rubbing his left hand over his bearded chin Hank stepped back and watched as Connor left the bedroom with his backpack over his shoulder as the bold deviant prepared to leave. "I wish I could send someone along with you, but that'd just make things more complicated and dangerous."

"I will be okay on my own. I dislike being alone for extended periods of time but I can handle this. It's important."

"Son, you're going to be over twenty hours and a thousand miles away from home; away from the technicians who can help you if you get hurt."

"Twenty hours and forty-one minutes, and one-thousand, three-hundred fifty-four miles to be exact."

"That doesn't ease my mind in the slightest, kid."

"Did I mention being four full states South?"

"...Seriously?" Putting his hands to his hips he gave Connor a slightly perturbed glance until he saw the mischievous gleam in Connor's eyes. "You're not helping."

"Sorry." Smirking coyly Connor made sure to ease the senior detective and father figure's mind before departing. "I will contact you whenever I pass through state lines and I will let you know the exact location in which I'm staying while I'm undertaking my investigation. Besides, I need to begin traveling and seeing the rest of the world so I don't become cynical, right? This seems like a logical place to start."