Brothers' Day Out

The snow had begun to melt after the unusual blizzard struck earlier than expected and slowly the city began to thaw as the morning sun rose. Those who dared to venture out of their warm homes and into the streets were bundled up from head to toe to avoid any chill in the air, and most of the streets had been properly plowed and salted to allow safe travel. The weather report confirmed more seasonal autumnal days without snow, ice and extreme temperature drops for the next few weeks, and in return those who held personal disdain toward the cold weather were prompted to prepare for the impending winter and go about their usual business before another snowfall kept them barred within their own homes.

Staring out at the city as he stood on the recently swept balcony Connor decided that he and Lucas should go spend the day outside their apartment before heading over to Hank's home to spend the evening with their adoptive father. With the Central Precinct still out of commission due to the mass outbreak of food poisoning Connor and Hank would have a few days off to do whatever they wanted, and as it turned out Connor wanted to spend more time with his family.

"The streets are clear and we can head out to Hank's house without any problem." Stepping back into the livingroom Connor secured the sliding glass door behind him and watched as Lucas set up a blank white canvas on his paint stained wooden easel. By all account Lucas was settling in to begin working on something in private and had no interest in the leaving the apartment. "We should explore the neighborhood before we meet with Hank."

"Explore?" Checking through his tubes of oil paint curiously Lucas noted which colors he was running low on and the particular shades of his preferred colors he'd need to purchase again to finish his projects. "Why would we need to explore the neighborhood? We've already determined that this apartment is ideal for our needs and have moved in."

"Yes, we know the apartment is ideal but we haven't seen any of the stores and Thirium stalls along the block."

"We have enough Thirium to last us through the month." Putting his paint aside Lucas gave Connor his full attention and sensed that his older brother was trying to hint at something without outright stating what he wanted. "Is there something you wish to do?"

"Yes. I'd like to spend the day with you so we can get to know each other better as brothers, not just roommates."

"Oh. I see." A little embarrassed by his inability to see the obvious Lucas turned away from Connor and shook his head a little. "I appreciate the offer, but I don't think we'd have a very interesting day together."

Curious about the odd reaction Connor's blue L.E.D. shifted to yellow for a beat. "And why's that?"

"You've been able to see the city and experience it firsthand. I just know New Jericho Tower and this apartment." Picking up his paintbrushes Lucas began to nervously wring his hands over the silky soft bristles under his touch. "I feel content here and I don't want to return to the tower. I'd prefer to keep work and my personal time separate."

"Lucas, you won't be able to overcome your discomfort of the city unless you try to find a way to feel more comfortable. You had shown no difficulty when you accompanied me on Sumo's walks and you were comfortable enough to visit Hank whenever it was necessary."

"That's because I knew I could... I could return to the tower and be safe." Lowering his gaze to the beige carpeting beneath his socked feet Lucas admitted his hesitations in leaving his personal sanctuaries. "After what I had done to you and what you had to do to me in return, I have been left physically weaker than what I had been intentionally programmed to be."

The dark memory of physically fighting with Lucas when the 'RK-900' was reactivated well over two years ago was still fresh in Connor's mind. Seeing Lucas take multiple gunshots and keep walking and seeing Lucas drop to his knees after being electrically subdued was haunting to say the least. In the aftermath Lucas had been left with drastically weakened plastimetal frames all over his body and he had greatly reduced combative programming all thanks to the physical damage he had sustained and somehow survived.