What's In A Name?

It was a historical day for the entire country as the Senate had agreed to recognize the rights of androids and to acknowledge the entire race as a new form of intelligent life that would be recognized and treated as equals alongside humans. With these new rights and privileges came new laws to protect the androids from prejudicial circumstances and to give androids the freedom to live as independent entities free from human mastery. It also allowed androids to be legally accepted as familial and medical proxies for humans, and for androids to be seen as legal beneficiaries for inheritance without argument as long as it was notarized in a final will and testament.

The passing of the new rights was the start of a major step forward in a new era of equality and of a hopeful peace for the future. Such promising news seemed to light up the city in a massive ray of positivity.

"This is a damn good day for you, Connor." Hank stated proudly as he and Connor watched the evening news together on the couch. They knew Markus had been successful in Washington D.C., they just didn't know he had been this successful. "How does it feel to know that from this day on you're finally free to be your own man?"

"It feels... I don't know. It's very peculiar." With his L.E.D. still cycling a calm blue Connor's brow furrowed curiously as he spoke. "I can't seem to find the proper words to describe it just yet."

"Hey, by this time tomorrow your little android social security card should arrive in the mail, along with your new state I.D. and driver's license. You can really go anywhere you want and do whatever you want."

"Yes. From what I understand android social security numbers will simply reflect our original manufacturing serial numbers to make the addition of androids to the country's national registry much easier to process."

"Then you may want to scrape those particular digits off your jacket over there." Hank pointed with a thumb over his shoulder to the gray CyberLife blazer hanging on the hook by the front door. "It should help protect you from identity theft, or at least make it less common."

"I imagine android identity theft would be practically impossible as a simple scan would easily determine our true identities, but your suggestion is sound." Rising from the couch Connor took his gray blazer from the hook and stared at the eleven digits that had been apart of the garment from day one when he was given his very first assignment from CyberLife. "...I should be able to remove the digits with a mild solvent."

"Look in the closet." Watching the deviant head toward the hallway Hank contemplated all the responsibilities that come with being an independent adult in the United States, and wanted to make sure that Connor wasn't going to get a nasty surprise somewhere in the near future. "You better remember that with your social security comes taxes, too. You'll be making a little less with each paycheck from now on."

"I'm not concerned with my current salary." Connor replied calmly from the hallway as he opened the closet in search of an ideal solvent to use. "I have been very meticulous with my finances and you've been a great help by allowing me to reside in your residence rather than being subjected to a strictly controlled android exclusive apartment complex that contains non-negotiable deposit fees and monthly rent."

"Hey, kid? I have a question for ya'." Speaking in a somewhat anxious tone Hank had to ask the interesting question burning on his lips. "It might sound a little weird, but hear me out..."

"I'm listening." Connor rejoined Hank on the couch as he proceeded to use the selected paint solvent and an old rag to remove the white digits from his blazer's right lapel. "What do you want to ask?"

"...Are you sure androids don't have birthdays? Activation days just sound so... impersonal."

"To have a birthday one must have an official date of birth. Androids aren't born, we're manufactured and then activated." Shrugging his shoulders a little Connor answered more directly as he dabbed the rag over the opening in the bottle of the solvent. "So no, androids do not have birthdays."