Chapter Eighty-Three

A bit of a gore mention here. Love you guys. -Rae

"Take a deep breath. You don't want to rush it."

Daija took a small breath and shook out her arms, her heart pounding from the ice rushing through her veins.

"Okay," she said. "Now what?"

"Let that energy flow, form into your hands, then throw it," Jamie said, and he moved his arms around to demonstrate. "You're still new to this, so try to put more effort into feeling it before throwing it."

She took a moment to prepare, then she moved, her mind and her new power working in unison. When she felt charged enough, the ball formed perfectly. She threw it, and it hit the tree with the effect they both wanted. The ice spread, then it was followed up by the gorgeous frost around the edges.

"Yes!" Daija cheered, and she laughed in excitement as she inspected the tree. From the energy rush and slightly exhausting, she stumbled a bit from dizziness.

"Don't faint, idiot," Jamie laughed from behind her as he steadied her. "You might be at your limit anyway. Your body's running a bit cold."

"One more time."

"No."

"But, Jamie-"

"You need to work later on, and the last thing you need is a headache from a mini burn-out. It's more than likely you skipped breakfast as well, right?"

Yes. "Of course not."

"Liar," he said as he passed her a water bottle. "But seriously, have a seat if you're feeling dizzy."

"Fine, only because I'm thirsty." She rolled her eyes and sat down in the grass, taking some time to admire the small woodsy area from the ground.

Jamie scoffed, sat beside her and mumbled, "You're stubborn."

"And you're sassy."

"Duh- Wait a minute. Look at me again."

She turned towards him to face him, and she met his green eyes. "Hm, have you noticed that the last time you did some training with your cryokinesis?"

"Noticed what?"

"Your eyes. They're... bright."

Her face twisted in confusion, and she scrambled to pull her phone out. "Bright how?"

"Imagine the sun shining through brown and sparkly stained glass."

She opened the camera on her phone and stared at herself, blinking her crystalized eyes. "Holy shit," she breathed out. "They're pretty. So I guess it's another indicator that I should slow down?"

"Uh- yeah. Definitely," he said quietly.

"You okay?" She asked as she turned towards him again, seeing that he was still staring at her. "You look tired, actually. You better be getting some sleep."

"Please," he chuckled as he shook his head. "I refuse to take advice from the woman who drowns herself in coffee."

"I'm a barista. What did you expect?" She asked, and she looked at the time. "Hm, okay. We work in three hours. Let's get out of here. You still need to show me that sci-fi book that you were talking about, and honestly, some nachos don't sound too bad."

"Oh, shit, that's right!" He exclaimed excitedly as he stood up. "It's actually a duology, but I think it's right up your alley."

She grinned at him, also standing up and shoving her phone back into her pocket. "You never disappoint with recommendations. I hope you know that."