Chapter Eighty-Two

Typed out another tiny chapter. Sorry they're short lately! The next one should be longer. Love you. -Rae

Jamie was a puzzle.

A complicated, dangerous, and obsessed puzzle that came with more questions each time something else was answered. She thought about the tiny scribbles of personal notes, the new knowledge that he goes to therapy twice a week and everything in his homemade lab.

Blue fire had to be a result of too much thinking, untapped rage and utter hatred, and she felt all of that firsthand.

Daija parked in Simon's driveway, sighing when she shut off her car and grabbed the bags she had with her. He texted her earlier and said that the door would be unlocked for her.

When she walked inside, she shut and locked the door behind her, took off her shoes and placed her bags on the counter of the kitchen island. She looked around for a moment, then walked down the hallway to the art room.

Simon was in there, painting with his usual, focused expression. When he heard her approach, he stopped and gave her a soft smile. "Hey."

"Hey, I hope I'm not interrupting."

"Are you kidding? I missed you. Come here." His smile grew as he gently put his supplies down, and when Daija walked over to him, he pulled her on his lap and kissed her. She rested against him like usual, just breathing him in and listening to the fire pulsing through blood.

"What were you painting?"

"Just mixing some colors and playing around with things. I did some training earlier and thought I should probably do something calmer."

She frowned. "Simon, baby, I seriously wanted you to get some sleep."

"I couldn't," he admitted quietly. "Right when you got off the phone with me while you were with your aunt, I finally watched what was on that drive."

Her heart shattered, and she caught the sadness in his eyes. "I could barely stomach it. I'll forever hate that I wasn't able to find him before it was too late."

"It's not your fault," she said as she stroked his cheek. "I wish that you had let me know before you watched it. I could've been there for you."

The least she could've done was be there for him, especially after all he's done for her lately.

"It's okay," he said as he readjusted his grip on her. "You had to get through things with your aunt, I had to get through things with those videos."

She leaned in and placed a small kiss on his forehead, and she ran a hand through his hair. "You're going to bed early tonight. You need to rest."

"Daija, it's-"

"No exceptions. You need your energy for tomorrow." She said, "Also, you would be on my ass too if it was the other way around. I truly wish I had the sleep touch sometimes."

"Trust me, my pretty hero," he said near her ear, "You have a sleep touch."

Her eyes widened at his implication, and when she sputtered in shock, he laughed loudly. She was going to scold him, but then remembered the kind of night and day he had, and let him enjoy his joke. Eventually, she laughed with him.

"By the way," she said when they stopped. "I got you some food. There was this sandwich place on the way back, and I thought that you-"

He gasped, and his face brightened up with a huge smile. "You got me food?!"

"Oh my gosh, Simon, yes, you need to eat, don't you?" She laughed again. "I figured that you might want something. The sandwiches are better toasted, so I left them untoasted to cook here, therefore you can have it warm. I wasn't sure if you wanted turkey or chicken, so I just got both and figured that you could have the other one later."