Chapter Thirty-Nine

Little gore / violence warning at the very start of this chapter. If you need to skip it, scroll until you see "The sound of her alarm." Love you -Rae

Her breathing was heavy and shaky. Power pulsed through her blood, greedy, vengeful and vicious. It wanted nothing more than to take, and it would hurt whoever got in its way. She would hurt whoever got in her way.

Daija's heart raced as she looked at the floor where Justin laid, screaming in pain and bleeding too much from too many places. He looked up at her and begged, practically sobbing, "P-Please! I'll do anything, Daija! Just let me live!"

A small part of her hated it, but the other part of her --the part that was growing stronger with each passing day-- loved it, even craved it.

The worst of his wounds was a deep gash in his gut, and it only seemed to worsen the more she used her power. Blood pooled on the floor beneath him, and the sight of it gave her many conflicting thoughts.

"Stop," she quietly and fearfully whispered after snapping out of it, "He's dying and he's had enough. Please just stop. I can't cross that line again. Please stop...!"

Her pleas did nothing, and her power continued to take and continued to make him suffer. His screams grew louder, and it was starting to make her dizzy.

The air around her grew warmer, alerting her of a familiar presence. Behind her, a pair of hands landed on her waist, and they gently pulled her until her back was against someone's chest. Then, she felt small, delicate kisses on her neck.

"What's taking you so long?" Simon quietly asked her in between kisses.

"I'm scared. It's too much," she admitted, swallowing back the tears that threatened to form, "I can't do it."

He turned her around so she was facing him, his hand gently stroking her cheek. "You're thinking too much. I know it's scary, love." She watched as he leaned in until their faces were nearly touching, his voice lowering to a whisper.

"But it's something you want."

Daija's breath caught in her throat, and before she could respond, he continued, "You want him to bleed, you want him to scream, and you want him to beg. It's always going to be scary, but you'll feel better knowing that they can't hurt you or anyone else anymore."

He then smiled softly, "Take what you want, Daija. Make that jump." At his words, Justin's screams intensified behind them, and the sound of it terrified her.

It also satisfied her, and she hated herself for it.

"Let go," Simon whispered soothingly.

Her head shook, and she breathed out, "I can't."

"You can," he said before he closed the distance between them and kissed her. Her eyes shut, and she focused on the kiss instead of the violent screams in the background.

When he pulled away, she opened her eyes to see that his smile grew, full of dark promises, "And very soon, love, you will."

-----

The sound of her alarm going off shook her from her sleep, and she sat up quickly, reaching beside her to silence it. Once it was off, she sat on her bed, taking some deep breaths to calm herself down.

A dream. It was just a dream.

The clock on her phone read six in the morning. She had to be at work a little bit earlier today to open the shop, since Devin told her that he was going to be a little late. Jamie also worked today, but he won't be there until around ten.