Chapter Twenty-Seven

Hey my loves. Yes, it's 6am. Honestly, what is sleep lmao. Currently writing how the next few chapters are going to go, so here's another cute & tension filled chapter that doesn't really add much to the plot.

Thanks for your patience. Love you. <3 -Rae

Devin tossed a card down, turned to Daija and grinned, "Draw. Four."

Snickering, she put a matching card down and shook her head, "Nope. Uno, by the way."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Jamie groaned, reaching towards the deck to pick up eight cards, "Who's idea was it to play stacks again?"

"Who do you think?" Violet scoffed.

Daija smiled sweetly at him, "What's the matter, Jamie? I thought if we were looking at the probability of things-"

"Someone reverse this order now," he said as he shot her a glare.

"The color's yellow," she smiled.

It was close to midnight. The five of them had been playing games for hours. Jamie won Monopoly, Violet won Jenga, Hazel won Scrabble this time, and now it was looking like Daija was going to win Uno, like she knew she would. All she had was one card left.

Eventually, the order did get reversed, courtesy of Violet. Jamie ended up skipping Daija, and she rolled her eyes, "Whatever. Your turn, Devin."

He turned to Violet and sighed as he put a card down, "Sorry, sweetheart, but you gotta draw two."

Vi giggled and put a matching card down, "No thanks. Hazel can draw four though."

"I don't think so," Hazel also put a +2 card down, "But, Jamie can draw six."

"Not this time," Jamie's grin was vicious as he put a +2 down, and he looked Daija directly in her eyes, "How about Daija draws eight? Therefore, we'll be even."

The group laughed, but when Daija put her remaining card down, which was also a +2, silence fell quickly. Her mouth curved into a smug smile, "I'm out. However, Devin can draw ten cards and then the rest of you can compete for second place."

"Bullshit!" Devin shouted as he tossed his cards down to the table, "This is why I hate this game!"

Jamie's jaw dropped, and Daija laughed, loud and unrestrained. Hazel shook her head in disbelief and Violet eventually laughed as well.

---

The four of them played Mario Kart while Daija watched. It was nice to see everyone smiling and laughing, especially with how wild things have been lately.

"We have to do this more often," Vi said when the race ended, "Just because we're all adults, doesn't mean we can't be kids every now and then."

Hazel nodded, "Yeah, college completely sucks. If anyone needs this kind of fun, it's us."

Daija's phone rang, and when she looked at the screen, she sat up from the couch and slipped her shoes on, her heart pounding, "I gotta take this. I'll be back."

"Excuse me, who the hell is calling you at midnight?" Violet asked as she crossed her arms.

"A friend," she replied.

Jamie gave Daija a quick, knowing grin, and turned his attention back to the TV. "Come on, guys, let's play another race."

"Yeah, go for it, by the time you guys are done, I'll be back," she said as she got ready to leave.

"No problem," He said, "I'm gonna pick Rainbow Road."

"You really wanna break apart this friend group, do you?" Devin asked as he grabbed his controller, "I'm still mad about Uno."