Chapter Thirty-Two

Surpriseeeeee <3 We hit over 20K reads, so I pushed through and wrote another chapter. Love ya -Rae

It was two in the morning when she finally stepped into her apartment. Once she quietly shut the door behind her, she took off her shoes and started for her bedroom.

"Hey," Violet called out when she passed the kitchen, and Daija's heart dropped. She was awake, scrolling on her phone and drinking a glass of juice, "I was sleeping when you texted me, and since I took a nap earlier, I'm definitely going to be up for a while-"

She cut herself off when she looked at her, a loud gasp escaping her throat as she dropped the glass in shock, the sound of it shattering filling the apartment.

"Oh, my god!" she shouted, stepping around the glass and walking over to her, peering closer to her face, "Who hit you?!"

Fuck. The bruise, and the fact that the corner of her mouth had a bit of blood on it. There was so much adrenaline in her body from what happened that she completely forgot that she was punched. It probably looked terrible.

"You've also been crying," she said as she gestured to her red eyes, "Daija, what's going on? Who hurt you? Who-"

"Violet, it's-"

"No!!" she yelled, and Daija flinched at the sudden outburst, "I'm tired of you telling me that it's fine, and I'm tired of you avoiding my questions. You need to tell me what the fuck is going on right now!"

Daija sighed, too tired and too drained to come up with a story, "I'm telling you, Vi, I know it looks bad, but I promise it's fine."

"Is it really? Because here's how it looks from my end," she said as she followed her to the bathroom, "First, you go missing for a full week. Since then, you've been sneaking around, keeping secrets, staying out late, and-"

"I've been busy with work-"

"That's bullshit, and you know it! I've never fallen for it, so stop lying to me! Sometimes you come home with hickies, and now you're coming home with bruises?! If someone is blackmailing you or something so you can't tell anyone-"

Daija turned to face her, "Violet, please! Like I just said, I know it looks bad, but everything is fine! I am fine!"

"All the signs point to this being bad!" her voice then lowered to a trembling whisper as tears filled her eyes, "And, Daija... missing the signs is how I almost lost you before."

Her heart completely shattered.

Right, because when they were fifteen, and Violet finally found out that she wasn't safe at home, that she was constantly hiding with makeup and smiles, and what almost happened in the bathroom if it weren't for Aunt Celia, it ripped her apart.

Not once did Daija think that Vi would come to that conclusion with all of her behavior lately.

"I promised myself that I would never miss anything else, and that I'd step up if it started getting bad again," she sniffled, "I know things haven't been the same since we got together and then broke up, but you can trust me. Let me help you. Whatever you're going through, you don't have to go through it alone."

Her eyes were desperate as she met her stare, "Please. Nothing scares me more than being too late."

"Violet," her name came out as a soft sigh, and walked over to her, pulling her into a hug as she continued crying, "No, no, no. I'm so sorry. I know it seems scary to think about, but I swear, everything is fine. Of course I trust you. I have before and I always will. Besides, you just existing helps me more than you'll ever understand."