Chapter Sixty-Seven

I cried while writing this, so there's that. Abu$e mention here, especially at the end. Please proceed with caution. Love you. -Rae

Daija laid on the floor of her bedroom with her legs propped up on her bed. She stared at the ceiling, listening to the sound of her breathing and inhaling the calm scent of lavender. She stayed like this for an hour. She had a while before Violet got back, and she used every minute of time she had to clear her mind.

When she arrived, she took a shower and then deep cleaned the apartment, but she still had so much energy. Going from using her powers regularly and unrestrained to not using them much was affecting her more than she thought. Throwing snow and ice balls in the training room sounded like heaven right about now.

She twirled her pen through the open slits of her fingers. She did some writing in her journal to alleviate some of the tension in her body when she was done cleaning. She wrote about Oliver, Valerie, her father, how it could possibly be connected to Aniya and how she wanted to kill her.

Then she wrote about Jamie and every fucked up thing he said to her.

He still thinks I massacred those people, she thought to herself. He got mad when I admitted that I was in love with Simon, which seriously, he shouldn't have. He tells me that all it took was two weeks for me to become wrapped around his finger, but all it took was two weeks for the heroes to put him on a fucking leash. I bet he would bark if they told him to.

When the familiar mix of frustration and anger bubbled up, she breathed a little slower, shutting her eyes and doing her best to just let the raging thoughts flow like Luca told her last week. Thinking was fine; acting on the thoughts was not fine and something that she could no longer do.

She would not let this ruin her.

He suggested changing the heroes. Monsters don't change for anything. They simply don't want to. At the end of the day, they killed Simon's brother, kidnapped me and had full intentions of using me as a weapon. Aniya traded me for her own benefit, as a desperate way to protect her own reputation.

She picked a high number and started counting to it. She would not let this ruin her.

"Doesn't this feel too good to be true? He could have any woman." Jamie's voice rang through her brain, the words as venomous as ever. The, "Why would he want you?" wasn't said, but if he didn't see her face, he would've said it proudly. He wasn't even sorry for saying the first bit.

If he's stressed out, why doesn't he take it out on the people who are actually stressing him out instead of being a jackass towards me? Was it really necessary to make me second guess my happiness? Why do I have to be the outlet?

The feelings bubbled up again, and she put all of her focus into breathing, trying her best to not let the thoughts linger for longer than they should.

She would not let this ruin her.

-----

Daija had to work early in the morning the next day. She had to set up and open the shop. Luckily, Hazel was going to be there with her. Jamie didn't work until the middle of the afternoon, and she was grateful, because she really didn't want to talk to him. The dull pulses in her head didn't change. They didn't get stronger, but they didn't get weaker either.

"Hey, Daija!" Violet called from the kitchen as she was getting ready for work.

"What is it?" she asked as she walked over.

She stared at her phone with a perplexed expression. "Did you take care of rent already for this month?"

"I made a plan to do that tomorrow. Why?"