Chapter Sixty-Nine

Another short chapter, but with some drama and feels. Love you guys. -Rae

A knocking sound woke her up later.

Daija's head throbbed, and the nausea was making her feel dizzy. Her body felt heavy, but at least her room wasn't too warm. It was finally dark outside, and it was still snowing lightly. Too exhausted and drained to move, she shut her eyes again and readjusted her blanket.

The knocking sounded again, and it was followed up with Violet's voice in the kitchen, "One second!"

Okay. She'll take care of it, she thought to herself before she felt herself drifting to sleep again.

Faintly, she heard a confused conversation at the front door, and then, footsteps approached her bedroom. The door opened, and the light switched on, forcing her to groan as she pulled the blanket over her head.

"Daija," the voice that called her name was soft, a little sad and edged with small hints of authority. The blanket was gently pulled back from her, and her head throbbed more when she was exposed to the light. "Daija, I need you to open your eyes."

It took her a while, but she opened them, trying to steady the dizziness as her vision adjusted.

"Attagirl," the figure said as they placed their hands on her shoulders. "Can you sit up for me?"

"How bad is it?" Another familiar voice broke through, and she heard more footsteps approach her.

When her vision cleared, she took in Austin's concerned face as he turned towards Luca. "She looks sick."

"Very sick," Luca said as he studied her. "Is she burnt out?"

"She's not cold, surprisingly, so I don't think so," he replied before peering closer to her face, his brow raising as he asked, "Newbie, have you been drinking?"

She heard the clinking of glass, and gently turned her head to where it came from. Luca's jaw dropped as he held the empty wine bottle and the near-empty bottle of pink liquor she bought from the store. Austin gasped lightly at the sight.

"Holy shit," Luca breathed out as he faced Daija, and it was the most shocked and worried she had ever seen him. "Darling, what happened??"

Oh, no. Not now. Not when she just wanted to be left alone so she could just go to bed.

"I'm sorry," she muttered as she shut her eyes again to block out both the light and their faces. "Like I texted you all earlier, I didn't mean to burst. It just happened. I didn't mean to knock out power or scare all of you. It won't happen again. I promise I'm okay."

"No. Hell no," Austin rapidly shook his head. "This is just bad. The moment you texted that bullshit answer, we all knew it was worse than we thought. Simon would be here himself, but he and the others had to get things handled back at base, so we told him we would come and get you."

"Tell him everything's fine-"

"For fuck's sake, Daija, this isn't fine," Luca cut her off before she could finish. "Do you know how sick you look and sound?"

"I'll deal with it. I just want to sleep. I'm sorry for worrying you all."

Austin and Luca shared a look, and Austin eventually said, "Okay, newbie. We'll give you some time to pack what you need and we'll be waiting for you in the living room."

"I just said I'm okay. I literally-"

"Then consider this a kidnapping. Luca, grab her phone and charger."