72. Moving Out

I opened a suitcase out in front of me and began tossing all of my clothes in. I didn't want to waste time folding anything and with all the tension in this apartment, I needed to escape as soon as possible.

I felt evil that I didn't have any emotion towards Lewis right now. I wanted to feel bad, maybe even cry because I didn't want to hurt his feelings but I didn't. It's been more than a year since we ended and he still mopes around this apartment talking about how he never stopped loving me.

I never wanted it to be this way, but this is what it has come to. It was now time for me to focus on being an Avenger and that's what I was going to do.

Once all my bags were packed I got my phone out and called Tony Stark. I needed to stay somewhere for the time being and his place was my best option. He took a while, but eventually picked up.

"Mr. Stark, how's it going?" I asked him.

"It's peaceful and interesting. I just finished reading up on S.H.I.E.L.D. being infiltrated by HYDRA, and then I came to find out about Project Insight," he explained.

"You know you were on the list, right? Along with me and Rogers," I asked.

"Yeah. And surprisingly I feel honored." He remarked. "And of course, I have to thank you for making sure that didn't happen."

"You're welcome. It was definitely worth the ankle boot," I said sarcastically. "Is Bruce talking to you like I told him to?"

"Oh yeah. Although after every sentence he reminds that that he's not that kind of doctor. He already has seven PhDs it wouldn't kill to get an eighth in psychology."

I laughed before Tony continued:

"What else are you doing besides limping around in an ankle boot?"

"Packing my bags. I'm moving out," I explain. "The only reason I moved to D.C. in the first place was to be closer to S.H.I.E.L.D. and now that it's all gone to shit I have no business being here."

"So you don't like living closer to Senator Stern?"

"God, don't even remind me about that court hearing. But I mostly need to get away from Lewis. We broke up and it's a little salty in here," I revealed.

"What do you mean by salty?" He asked.

"I told him about what happened between us," I admitted and I could hear Tony exhale loudly from the other end of the line.

"I know I swore I wouldn't tell another soul, but I really needed to get him off my back and I've since moved on from him," I illustrated.

"Moved on? As in with someone else?" He questioned, seeming surprised.

"Oh no. That's not it. I meant I'm over him," I said, which was not a complete lie, but it wasn't the full truth.

Yes, Steve and I kissed, but I don't know whether it's gonna go anywhere else from there. I can't lie, I do have feelings for him and I care about him a lot, but I don't want too many people knowing and dropping their opinions about it. Not that I want anyone's approval, but outside voices always skew people's thoughts.

"But now that we're over I really, need to get out of here and I was hoping you'd let me stay at the Tower?" I asked innocently, batting my eyelashes even though he couldn't see them over the phone.

The line was quiet for a while, before Tony disrupted the lull with a sigh, "Pepper wouldn't like that."

I pouted, "Just like Pepper didn't like all the suits you made to protect her?"