43. Old Hook-Ups

Down at the front door, a woman stood behind the glass, once again, knocking on the wall. Once the door slid open, she stepped in taking a few steps before Tony stepped out in his suit holding his arm out to stop her in her tracks.

"Right there's fine," he professed.

I came out from behind Tony's suit-where I was hiding-rolling my eyes at how ridiculous the situation was.

"Seriously, Tony." I ridiculed him before he lifted the mask from his face.

"You're not the Mandarin are you?" He asked, sounding surprisingly concerned.

"You don't remember. Why am I not surprised?" The woman remarked. I raised my eyebrows hoping Tony hadn't had any recent one-night-stands especially since he was in a serious relationship with Pepper.

I mean she seemed like his type: brunette, long hair, quite a pretty face. Although, to be honest, Tony doesn't have a specific type because neither I or Pepper look like that.

"Don't take it personally," said Tony, "I don't remember what I had for breakfast."

"Gluten-free waffles, sir," JARVIS jumped in.

"AI's are honestly so useful. You should get one if you don't have one already," I told the guest, trying to diffuse the unnecessarily awkward tension.

"Okay, look, I need to be alone with you. Someplace not here, it's urgent," she demanded, which took me by surprise.

"What's so important that you can't just say it here, right now?" I asked, but it came across quite harshly.

"Normally, I'd go for that sort of thing, but now I'm in a committed relationship," Tony told her, walking deeper into the living room until 2 bags were dropped from the floor above us, "It's with her," he added pointing towards the stairs.

"Tony, is somebody there?" Pepper shouts as she rushes down the stairs to see what's going on.

"Yeah, we'll firstly Y/N is here. And secondly, Maya Hansen is here," he informs her as he steps out of his suit. I notice Maya smile now that she knows Tony still remembers her, "Old botanist pal that I used to know, barely."

He pulls Maya to the side and whispers to her, "Please don't tell me that there is a twelve-year-old kid waiting in the car that I've never met."

"He's thirteen," she says which Tony and I both jumped to. I can't imagine a little Stark running around. The trauma would just be unreal.

"And no. I need your help," she finished.

"What for? And why now?" Tony asked.

"Because I read the papers, and, frankly, I don't think you'll last the week."

Soon, Pepper joined the three of us, "I'm sorry. With Happy in the hospital, I didn't know we were expecting guests." She says before locking eyes with me.

"We weren't," Tony cleared up.

"No...I-" Maya tried to justify her reasons for being here before Pepper cut in again:

"And old girlfriends!"

"She's not really," Tony mentioned.