65. Shall We Play A Game?

A/N:
Thank you so much for all the support! Please don't forget to vote and comment because feedback is very much appreciated — captainxdee🦋
________________________________

Wheaton, New Jersey

"Welcome to Camp Leigh!" Natasha rejoiced and jumped out of the truck as Steve parked up in front of an old derelict gate.

"This is it?" I quizzed, looking at the building.

Natasha looked down at her phone to double-check, "Yep. The file came from these coordinates."

"So did I," Steve said to himself. My head swiveled to face his. I raised an eyebrow wanting him to elaborate.

"This camp is where I was trained," he revealed.

I shrugged before asking, "Changed much?"

"A little," he replied as we walked through the gates and enter the site. The place was old and seemed like it was abandoned years ago. I almost started to question whether we got the right place.

"This a dead end," Natasha alerted us, holding her phone up and scanning the area. "Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

"What is it?" I asked when I caught Steve staring off into the distance.

He started charging towards a building, leaving me and Natasha to follow him.

"Army regulations forbid storing munitions within 500 yards of barracks." He reminded me whilst informing Natasha.

Once we'd reached the building that was bolted shut with a lock, I added, "So you're saying that this building is in the wrong place?"

Steve nodded before using his shield to break the lock. Once the lock was busted we were met by a set of stairs leading down into the base. We caught sight of a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo plastered on the wall.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D.?" Natasha said seeming surprised. We all were.

"Maybe where it started," Steve assumed.

We circled the room a little while, stumbling across three pictures that were hung on the wall. They were all in black and white and lined up next to each other.

"That's Stark's dad," I pointed at the one in the middle.

"Howard," Steve added.

"Who's the girl?" Nat gestured towards the female in the photo situated on the right side of Howard Stark's photo.

Steve tensed up and didn't say anything. Instead, he walked off leaving Natasha and I stood by the picture frames. "It's Peggy Carter. Steve's ex—if you can call her that."

"Oh," Natasha muttered quietly.

Steve probably never told her about it. We talked about her vaguely, but I figured he really liked her and if the plane crash never happened they would've definitely fallen in love with each other.

"The situation was really weird because now she's old and nearly dying and Steve is just left there to pretend that none of it ever happened," I said out loud.

"You think he still has feelings for her?"

"I know he does," I told Natasha, "Given the opportunity if somehow it was possible I feel he'd leave everything behind for her."

"I think that's overstating things," she laughed.

"Okay, let's say what you told me was true and he liked me—" I began.