10. I Am Iron Man

"... And now, Mr. Stark has prepared a statement. He will not be taking any questions," Rhodes told the crowd of reporters as he stepped away from the podium to stand next to me, allowing Tony to take his place.

After the events of the last night—the Duel of Los Angeles we were calling it—there had been speculations about whether Tony Stark was indeed Iron Man. Of course, we knew, but the plan was to keep his identity a secret and clear the rumors that circulated.

The camera began clicking as Tony took a deep breath and began to start his fabricated story with a thank you to the reporters in front of him.

"Been a while since I was in front of you. I figure I'll stick to the cards this time," he joked which made the crowd laugh before he continued, "There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway and the rooftop..."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark," Christine Everhart interrupted as Tony began. She was sat in the front row with a smug look on her face. She always knew how to get the information out of people and she loved catching people out, "but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared, despite the fact that you..."

Tony did her one better by interrupting her before she could feed into the speculation, "I know that it's confusing. It is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate that I'm a superhero."

"I never said you were a superhero." Christine countered, and at that point, Tony pulled a face realizing he may have outed himself slightly.

"Well, good, because that would be outlandish and fantastic..." He continued.

I stood a few feet beside Tony, right next to Rhodes, both of us wearing our Service Dress uniforms and giving each other worried looks from time to time. Tony was being risky not reading from the cards like he planned to.

"...I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I've made, largely public." He continued, slower this time with a stutter, clearly showing he didn't know what to say.

Rhodes veered over to him and whispered in his ear. He then came back to stand beside me again with his hands behind his back. I raised my eyebrow at him before asking Rhodes, "What did you say?"

"I just told him to stick to the script." He replied as I turned back over to Tony who was getting the blue slip of paper with his prompts on them.

"Oh, thank God, he was really embarrassing himself out there trying to improvise this thing." I told Rhodes before tossed the blue paper out of his hand and on the ground in front of us, "Rhodes, what is he doing?" I slapped Rhodey on the arm thinking he didn't tell what he said to Tony.

Rhodes just widened his eyes and shrugged, genuinely seeming like he had no idea what was happening.

Tony, just simple faces the crowd, saying words that would changes his life, our lives, forever:

"The truth is...I am Iron Man..."

- - - - - - - - - -

Over the next couple of weeks, Tony had been gaining even more attention than he had been getting before. Initially, he was Tony Stark, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Now, he was also a superhero. He did all out of small things around the city and the citizens loved it, he loved it.

Me, on the other hand, my life was practically as it was before. Although Pepper and I basically saved Tony's life from Obadiah Stane, the media never knew so we were just living our lives as usual, around Tony's. I didn't even have time to be entertaining the media, anyway, as me and Lewis were still sorting things out.