20. The Ex-Wife

I blinked a couple of times trying to figure out where I was. My eyes rolled to the left to see Lewis driving in the dark of night. I tried to lift my head but a sharp pain throbbed in the front of my head.

I winced in pain causing Lewis to turn to face me, a look of relief on his face, "You're good. You are fine." He reassured me placing his hand on my thigh.

"Is Rhodey okay?" I asked him briefly remembering the altercation I witnessed before I blacked out. Lewis's jaw clenched in response to my question and instead of answering it, he curved it.

"Forget about them. You're the one who got hurt."

I sighed in frustration. I was hoping that Tony and Rhodes didn't seriously hurt each other but all he cares about is me. Honestly, that's not a bad thing but I asked him a simple question and I wanted answers.

"Lewis, I'm fine. Just tell me what happened," I begged, giving him pleading eyes.

The car was silent for a few minutes, as Lewis was either debating on whether he wanted to tell me or fabricating a story to avoid me knowing the truth. Finally, after what felt like minutes, he spoke up.

"They blasted each other," he started, eyes not leaving the road ahead, "They hit at the same time and made this huge explosion."

I heard the word explosion and immediately started to worry. "What do you mean explosion? Did they make it out okay?"

"I don't know," he admitted, "I was too busy trying to get you to safety."

I dropped my head realizing Lewis saved me from a possibly fatal incident. I look down at my trembling hands, I was still experiencing shock from the incident.

"Thank you," I said looking at my hands still, "For trying to protect me."

"It's not a problem," he said, "But you know what is a problem, though, the fact that for the past week all you've seen is danger."

"Monaco was just supposed to be a fun trip...all of sudden some dude hooked up to a power line comes trying to kill everyone on the track," he ranted, "Oh, and then tonight we're celebrating a birthday party and then two men dressed as robots are wrecking a multimillion-dollar mansion...why? Because both of their egos are too big to fit in those suits!"

"It's probably just a coincidence," I defended but my argument was pathetic.

"Twice in less than a week isn't a coincidence," Lewis insisted banging his hand on the steering wheel, "I know danger is nothing new to you, but it's not normal in these weird circumstances."

He was right. I was constantly in life-threatening situations with me being a soldier, but that was okay especially when I was expecting it. This, however, is different.
One minute I was drinking, dancing, having a good time and the next explosions and shots are being fired around me.

"And do you realize what the common denominator is?" He asked me, serious written on his face as he watched the road.

I sighed and my stomach knotted as I put all the pieces together. "Tony..." I admitted quietly, not wanting to face the reality of the situation.
He was the root of all the mess that's happened the past week and I could no longer let it slide.

Lewis turned to me, "So you'll agree to maybe keep your distance from Tony?"

I took a deep breath. I had to put myself and my relationship first for once. I pushed the thoughts of me and Tony right to the back of my head and focused on the future. My future with Lewis.

"Yep," I agreed, "Just me, you, and work from now on..."

- - - - - - - - - -