6. My Whole World

I looked into my wardrobe and couldn't decide between two dresses. The first one was a long, dark blue strappy gown with a slit going down my leg and the other was a red long-sleeved mermaid dress that was covered in sequins. I chose to keep it simple with the dark blue. I had my nails painted red and thought it would look better to contrast the two colors.

Tonight was Tony Stark's third annual benefit for the Firefighters Family Fund and as a close friend of his, I was invited. He never spoke to me about it once, so I had a feeling Stane went about organizing it himself. He'd been acting strange the night he came over to Tony's and I have a weird suspicion he's trying to sabotage Stark Industries. Of course, I have no evidence yet, but I'm hoping to gather some at the event tonight.

I walk past the television in my apartment and listened to the news anchor talking about the event on the screen.

"... hasn't been seen in public since his bizarre and highly controversial press conference. Some claim he's suffering from post-traumatic stress and has been bedridden for weeks. Whatever the case may be, no one expects an appearance from him tonight."

Post-traumatic stress? That's exactly what Stane said the members of the board were saying about Tony.

I turned off the TV and quickly applied some lipgloss before stuffing it into my purse and walking into my car. I opened the door to the garage and saw a dark blue Toyota Camry parked next to mine. You've got to be kidding me...

Lewis hopped out and smiled down at me.

"Wow, you look amazing!" He said biting his bottom lip.

I just rolled my eyes at him. I was still angry about the last time we talked which was when he threw a glass at me. I could have easily ignored him and gotten straight into my car, but I couldn't be bothered for any of the drama, so instead, I played nice.

"Lewis, have you come to apologize? Because if you haven't, you can get back into your car and drive home," I ordered waving him off.

He tried to take a step closer but I put my palm out to stop him. He was good at making you feel you could trust him again but I wasn't falling for it this time.

"I was angry okay, and I lashed out. I shouldn't have," he started, rubbing the back of his neck and looking up at me with apologetic eyes. I was nearly convinced he meant what he was saying.

"That isn't an apology, Lewis, that's an excuse," I told him, standing my ground.

He paused few a seconds, then sighed before speaking up again, "Y/N, I'm sorry, okay."

I smiled a little. For once he actually apologized I was starting to feel as though maybe he could change. But I'm not that stupid. This time he's going to have to do a lot more than bat his brown eyes at me to get me to take him back.

"Is that all?" I asked folding my arms, "I've got somewhere to be and I don't wanna be late."

He opened the passenger door to his car and gestured for me to get in, "I can take you there," he smiled looking at me and waiting for me to get into the vehicle. I just stood there arms folded, raising one eyebrow, "You don't even know where I'm going."

"Disney Concert Hall, Tony's fundraising event." He told me, in a high-pitched tone as if he was guessing, but I knew he was certain.

I rolled my eyes in response, "Fine." I stomped my foot lightly and slid into the passenger seat. He quickly ran around the car stepped into the driver's seat and reversed out of the apartment's garage.

The ride was silent. For the longest time, I was just sat with my head looking out of the window. Los Angeles was beautiful at night, with bright lights and palm trees dancing slowly in the breeze. I loved it here but I knew this isn't where I wanted to end up living forever. I always like the idea of the east coast, you know, New York, Massachusetts, maybe even Maryland, or New Jersey. I think I'd feel freer there.