28. We Have Orders

"Are you nuts?!" Steve shouted storming into the laboratory. I could tell by the wrinkle between his eyebrows he was pissed.

"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?" Tony asked Bruce quietly, ignoring Steve's exclaim.

"Is everything a joke to you?" He yelled at Tony.

"Funny things are."

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, Doctor," Steve said, apologizing to Banner who continued to fiddle around with equipment.

"No, it's alright," Bruce insisted, "I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things."

"You're tiptoeing, big man. You need to strut," Tony said still talking to Dr. Banner.

"And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark," Steve snapped.

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"You think Fury's hiding something?"

"He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets," Tony said before pointing at Bruce, "It's bugging him too, isn't it?"

Banner stuttered, "Uh...I just wanna finish my work here and..."

"Bruce," I said trying to snap him out of his flustered state. He removes his steaming glasses from his face and paused for a minute.

"'A warm light for all mankind,' Loki's jab at Fury about the cube," he quoted, which got me thinking. Bruce pointed at Tony as he continued, "Well, I think that was meant for you. Even if Barton didn't post that all over the news."

"Stark Tower? That big ugly..." Steve started but trailed off when Tony gave him a death stare, "...building in New York."

"It's powered by Stark Reactors. They are a self-sustaining energy source," I enlightened Steve and Bruce adds, "That building will run itself for what, a year?"

"That's just the prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now," Tony tells us.

Bruce gestures to Tony again, "So, why didn't S.H.I.E.L.D. bring him in on the Tesseract project? I mean, what are they doing in the energy business in the first place?"

"I told them to bring Tony in," I brought up, which was the truth. Tony was deemed unsuitable for the Initiative and I told Fury to include Tony in the Tesseract project.

Bruce however stood firm with his theories, "Okay, then why did they accept?"

I stroked my chin, pondering over the situation, "Fury did take long to respond when I first asked," I recalled before the penny finally dropped, "When he asked the first time you hadn't even considered moving Stark Industries to New York yet, right?"

Tony nodded, "Not outwardly, no."

I continued, "I told them to consider you. I looked over the Tesseract files, saw the mention of energy, and figured you'd be able to help. Now they're using that to their advantage."