8. The Price To Kill

I laid up in my bed watching the news from my room. The press conference about events that happened in Gulmira was being done today by Rhodes. I went straight home after work and never got the chance to speak to him or Tony again so I have no idea if he came up with a better excuse or not.

Rhodes appeared on the screen wearing the USAF uniform standing behind a podium that had tones of microphones, one for each network reporting the incident.

I felt sick thinking about what he was going to say. We could get in big trouble for covering this up, maybe even lose our positions and I didn't want that. I didn't want to end up like Lewis, relying on someone else for my purpose in life.

Rhodes began to speak, "An unfortunate training exercise involving an F-22 Raptor occurred yesterday. I am pleased to report that the pilot was not injured. As for the unexpected turn of events on the ground in Gulmira, it is still unclear who or what intervened, but I can assure you that the United States government was not involved."

That's about as smoothly as it could go. Hopefully, no one else would comment or ask about the matter and it would be swept under the carpet. I thought about calling Tony and seeing if he was okay with what Rhodes had told the public.

I walked over to the kitchen and made myself some cereal, I was given the day off and just wanted to relax, preferably alone, without Lewis but I was afraid he would find out that I had the day off and chose not to be with him. He isn't at the top of my priorities at the moment, Tony and his project are.

I wanted to be involved in something big and this robo-suit is probably going to be that. It's proved to have helped people in Gulmira, so this could be a worldwide thing. Or maybe just a military thing that we could use instead of aircraft.

The phone rang twice before someone finally picked up, "Hey, is this Tony or Pepper?"

"I don't know, why don't you guess?" the person said in Tony Stark's voice.

"Are you happy with the press speech?" I asked him, but he just hopped in over me.

"You don't happen to know how to access hacker-tech do you?" He said, casually like it was a normal thing to ask someone when they call you, "I...kinda know where I can get the equipment to—Tony where is this coming from?"

"I want to know what Obie's been up to. I want the receipts from the recent shipment made to Gulmira." My eyes widened when I heard what he told me.

"You should've mentioned Stane when I first called," I exclaimed. I've been wanting to take this guy down since the board meeting, "I'll get the tech and be right over."

- - - - - - - - - -

Tony told me to meet Pepper at the Stark Industries HQ and I did. There I would hand over the drive that could be used to hack our way into Stane's login and extract the files we needed to find Tony's weapons. It sounded quick and easy but it wasn't.

We haven't stepped foot in the Headquarters since Afghanistan and we'd need to make a swift entry in and out without getting caught by Stane.

I was already waiting on the correct floor when the doors to the elevator opened up and Pepper walked out. "I hate that we're doing this." She said under her breath as I passed her the drive, "It's for a good cause, trust me" I said giving her a quick smile as we speed-walked towards the office. I peeped my head through quickly making sure no one was in there.

"This should only take around 10 minutes." I estimated as I kept an eye on the door. Pepper went and sat at the desk and I stood behind her. She turned the screen on to display a slide show of antique cars.