54. Milkshake

I rushed down the stairs to find Natasha who was standing outside the training room chatting to Maria Hill. I had just been told I was doing a mission with Steve in Brooklyn today, after the big blow-up we just had.

"Romanoff, can we talk? I've done something really stupid." I warned her making Maria wince.

"Stupid? Okay, I'm gonna let Black Widow deal with that," she remarked before leaving the two of us in the room alone.

"God, Y/L/N, what have you done," she asked in a serious tone.

"I just fought with Cap," I told her, burying my face in my hands as I thought about it.

"Wait, a physical fight or...," she trailed off, wanting to get a better understanding of the situation I barely explained.

"I shouted at him, and I kind of accused him of being racist," I said quietly, looking back it was a stupid thing to say out loud. Especially since Steve would never understand where I was coming from.

"Y/N..." Natasha said my name sounding disappointed, but she didn't say anything else mostly likely because what could say? She wouldn't understand it either.

"Listen, nothing I can say to you will hold any value, because I will never understand. But I know where Steve's heart is and I know... I just can't say..." she stuttered like she almost let something she shouldn't have let slip out.

"What do you mean you can't say?" I repeated starting to worry. I wondered if Natasha and Steve were keeping secrets from or about me.

"Y/N just let it go and go on the stupid mission," she said, pushing me lightly towards the door, "I'll tell you when you get back."

- - - - - - - - - -

Brooklyn, New York

Steve and I were provided with a S.H.I.E.L.D. car to drive ourselves over to Brooklyn since Steve knew the place we decided he should drive. Other than that initial conversation, we hadn't spoken since.

Fury briefed us on the mission, informing us that they had intel that a Nobel Peace Prize winner, Sana Amanat was going to be kidnapped by a mercenary group known as the Cadres. We were sent to scope the area undercover—and by undercover he meant not in our suits.

We tried to look as casual as possible, hoping to blend in with other citizens and avoid getting caught. I wore a simple zip-up hoodie and jeans, while Steve wore a shirt and jeans as well.

The car ride was awkwardly quiet. I had a lot of thoughts running through my mind, but I couldn't tell if Steve had anything running through his. He was really hard to read which was another thing that annoyed me.

The silence in the car soon turned into boredom, so I leaned my head against the window and drifted off to sleep...

I woke up to find we were still on the road. I knew in light traffic the journey was still going to be almost 5 hours. I rolled my eyes over to the left, watching Steve, his eyes were firmly on the road.

"Are we're here yet?" I asked, my voice lazy and tiresome.

"Nope, not yet. We're about 20 minutes out from the city," he stated his eyes darting between mine and the road. I could tell he wanted to look again, but he stopped himself and continued to watch the traffic ahead.

It wasn't long before we finally reached the inner city of Brooklyn. The place Steve was born and raised. I noticed how his face lit up as soon as we reached the area, which warmed my heart a little bit. I knew how much Steve missed his old life, so seeing him feel a little more comfortable in this modern world touched me. I smiled to myself, but then remembered I was supposed to be mad at him and faced the window so he couldn't see me.