31. Suit up

Clint grunted, squeezing his eyes shut, sweating profusely. We had his wrists tied to a chair as he shook his head trying to snap out of his compromised mindset.

Natasha sat on a chair next to him, trying to keep him calm and comfort him, while I paced up and down the room waiting for Clint to pull through.

"Clint, you're gonna be alright," Natasha cooed, but Clint seemed to be struggling.

"You know that? Is that what you know? I got...I gotta go in though. I gotta flush him out," Clint explained.

Natasha got up out of her seat and walked over to a nearby table, she poured him a glass of water as all the sweating probably made him extremely dehydrated.

"We don't have that long, it's gonna take time," she said.

I walked over to the now unoccupied chair and took a seat. I could tell Clint was in physical—and maybe even emotional—pain.

"I don't understand," said Clint, "Have you ever had someone take your brain and play? Pull you out and send something else in? Do you know what it's like to be unmade?"

Natasha paused and turned to look Clint in the eyes, "You know I do," she said, referring to her time in the Red Room.

"Why am I back? How did you get him out? And who are you?" Clint plied on question after question.

"Cognitive recalibration, I hit you really hard over the head. Twice," I told Clint, "Also I'm Y/N L/N. Part of the group that's trying to stop Loki."

Clint softened up a bit, "Well, thanks, Y/N."

I gave him a quick nod and smile and got up from the seat so that Nat could reclaim it. She began untying the restraints from Barton's wrists.

"Tasha, how many agents...?" Clint trailed off, wanting to know many agents he possibly put in danger—or even killed.

"Don't do that to yourself, Clint," she ordered, not wanting him to dwell on mistakes he wasn't even in control of.

"She's right, Loki was manipulating you, controlling you. Nobody blames you, Clint," I added, forgiving him for what he did while he was under Loki's spell.

Clint reacted to the mention of Loki's name, "Loki. He got away?"

"Yeah. I don't suppose you know where?" She asked him, getting up and walking towards the door.

Clint sat up and reached over to his glass of water, "I didn't need to know. I didn't ask. He's gonna make his play soon though. Today," Clint warns.

"We gotta stop him."

"Who's we?" Clint asked confused, as he gulped down his water.

"I don't know. Me, L/N, whoever's left."

"Well, if I put an arrow in Loki's eye socket, I'd sleep better I suppose," Clint admitted, which made Natasha beam.

"Now you sound like you," Natasha grinned.

"But you don't," Barton stated, "You're a spy, not a soldier. Now you want to wade into a war. Why? What did Loki do to you?"

"I've been compromised. I got red in my ledger. I'd like to wipe it out," Natasha revealed, "And I've been spending a lot of time with a soldier so..." she tilted her head in my direction.

I put my hands on my hips, "Well, you've been standing around playing defense for too long. It's time we attack and give Loki the show that he wants."

Clint chuckled under his breath, "I like you," he smirked.

I shrugged, "I'm starting to think your worth liking too, Barton. But you should probably wash off, you're sweating like a pig on a rotisserie."