29. We Aren't A Team

Stark and Banner had rejected the search for the Tesseract as they had formulated a new mission: find out what Fury is hiding.

They had become increasingly suspicious and felt the need to figure out what S.H.I.E.L.D's plan was before it was too late and they discovered that they were being used to do their dirty work.

Tony began hacking S.H.I.E.L.D.'s mainframe hours prior and the two scientists were still waiting on results. The program had almost finished loading when Director Fury waltzed in.

"What are you doing, Mr. Stark?" Fury lashed when he noticed that the two men were no longer working like they were asked to.

"Uh...kinda been wondering the same about you," replied Stark.

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract!"

"We are. The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now," Banner explained, point Fury over to the computer that was tracking gamma signatures in search for the cube, "When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile."

"Yeah, you'll get the cube. No fuss, no muss," Tony said. Suddenly, however, the computer in front of him had displayed the collection of secret files from S.H.I.E.L.D's mainframe his program was extracting.

"What is Phase 2?" He read from the monitor.

Right on cue, you strutted in with Steve Rogers, slamming the HYDRA assault rifle you obtained from the storage unit, "Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D. using the Tesseract to make HYDRA weapons," you explained, glaring at Fury as you said it.

"Sorry," Steve said after you, "The computer was moving a little slow for us."

Nick Fury edged closer to the two do you trying to come up with an excuse why the weapons were in S.H.I.E.L.D custody, "Rogers, L/N, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're—"

"I'm sorry, Nick," Tony cut his off, swiveling the monitor over to display the blueprints for the weapons you and Steve had discovered, "What, were you lying?"

Soon, Natasha and Thor entered together as Steve remarked, "I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit."

Romanoff walked in keeping her eyes on Banner, who looked at her with underlying rage. "Did you know about this?" He asked feeling slightly betrayed.

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" She questioned.

Bruce got up, annoyed that there was a possibility that he was tricked into joining the initiative, "I was Calcutta, I was pretty well removed."

Natasha was becoming increasingly cautious about Banner's growing temperament, "Loki's manipulating you."

"And you've been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I batted my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him," Fury pointed at Thor who was taken by surprise, "Me?" Thor asked, confused.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town," Nick Fury began, "We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned."