19. Give Me A Phat Beat

Lewis and I walked back into the room the party was centered in. Strobe lights were flashing around while crowds of girls danced around with open dresses and six-inch heels.

The song California Love was being blasted out by the DJ and I couldn't help but dance. I grabbed Lewis's hand pulling him onto the dance floor, swaying my hips to the beat. His hands were carefully placed on each side of my waist controlling my movements.

Lewis span me around so that I facing the DJ booth, where I noticed Tony standing in his Iron Man suit. He tripped backward, falling off the stage the DJ booth was on and into a glass shelf behind him.

I turned to Lewis quickly, "I should go and check on him," I informed him. He nodded accepting my duty as I ran towards the stage to help Tony out.

He had clearly had too much to drink but I didn't blame him. I now understood why he was acting recklessly. Essentially, he wasn't going to suffer any of the consequences, or at least any of the long-term ones. Tony just wanted to enjoy himself before he expires and getting drunk was one of the ways he could forget about his fast-approaching fate.

I scurried over towards the stage before bumping in Rhodes and Pepper who both looked sour. "What's wrong?" I asked them both trying to read their emotions.

"I don't know what to do," Pepper admitted, pointing to Tony who was struggling to get up from his fall. "You've gotta be kidding me!" Rhodes sighed turning around to exit the building, "That's it I'm making—"

"No no!" I demanded, gripping his forearm and pulling his back to stop him from leaving, "Don't call anyone."

"Y/N, this is ridiculous, I just stuck my neck out for this guy," he complained. I sighed putting my hand on my head before responding, "Rhodes, you know he's not at his best right now. Give him the benefit of the doubt."

Rhodes shook his head. He didn't want to keep bend over backward for Tony. I agreed we'd been letting him go on like this for too long, but now I understand the circumstances I don't want to make things difficult for him.

"And how many times have we done that?" He countered. "I know, I know. I get it," I began to come to Tony's defense again before Pepper butted in.

"I'm gonna handle it, okay. Just let me handle it." She piped up stopping Rhodes and I from arguing any longer. "Handle it. Or I'm gonna have to." Rhodes added.

She turned around and made her way up to the stage where she interrupted Tony's speech to the crowd: "You know, the question I get asked most often is, 'Tony, how do you go to the bathroom in the suit?" He started into the microphone. He then took a brief pause before continuing, "Just like that."

The crowd of women cheered assuming Tony had just peed inside his Iron Man suit and judging by his current stage, I would completely rule out the possibility.

Pepper was now at the top of the stage with Stark who was bent over with laughter. She put her hand on his back as she took the mic from his hands, "Does this guy know how to throw a party or what?"

The crowd starts cheering as I begin to make my way over to Lewis again who is sandwiched between two blondes. I push either one out of the way, waving them off as they walk away from him.

"What is wrong with this guy?" He asked me brows furrowed genuinely concerned for Tony's health. "He's just had too much to drink. Like everyone does on their birthday," I spelled it out to him, stating the obvious to avoid having to explain everything.

"I love you," Tony said to Pepper through the microphone so that everyone could hear. It was weird to hear though, especially after he'd just hooked up with me, but that was when the guilt finally began to sink in.