53. A Busy Night

With the fight finally being out of the way I felt as though I deserved a break, or at least to let loose. And the best person to let loose with was my best friend Sam Wilson.

Sam was aware of the Rumlow fight because I ranted about to him every single night. He knew every time Rumlow made a comment or every time Steve acted weird around me. I told him everything.

We saw each other most of the time because whenever Lewis has a counseling session I drop by the Veteran Support Center for a quick catch-up. Apart from the intense training, the last 4 months have been stress-free. I no longer had to carry a dead relationship on my back and I no longer had a friend to worry about now that Bruce was looking out for Tony.

Don't get me wrong, I still cared about Tony a lot, but his trauma was something I couldn't understand enough to help him with. Plus I didn't want our relationship to be based on the negative things in life. I wanted to keep it lighthearted and fun like how it started in the first place.

With all my problems almost completely solved Sam and I could finally have some fun the way we've always wanted to.

I got dressed and decided to go for a black, satin minidress. It paired well with my necklace and silver heels to match. After all, the occasion wasn't big and this was purely a spur-of-the-moment plan.

 After all, the occasion wasn't big and this was purely a spur-of-the-moment plan

I did end up having to go to the medic room to get my nose checked out. Luckily it wasn't severely damaged, I only suffered from bruising which would heal over time. It did leave a mark, but I was easily fixable with a small amount of concealer. I made sure Lewis never found out about the fact I was beaten up by a man. He would flip and I couldn't be bothered for any drama.

Regardless, I could tell Lewis was nervous. This was probably the time he was genuinely nervous I might meet someone else. I already insisted that no one at S.H.I.E.L.D. is likely to pursue me, and the same case vice-versa.

I adjusted myself in the mirror, applying lipgloss before getting ready to leave. I caught Lewis's face in the reflection he looked desperate and jealous but turned on at the same time.

"Is there something you wanna get off your chest?" I asked him, catching his eyes in the reflection. He looked down when he noticed I could see him, slouched on the sofa he folded his arms.

"No, you just look amazing that's all," he confessed. I knew his heart was hurting on the inside, but I doing fine. Besides, Lewis was way better as I friend anyway.
We haven't had a single dispute since New Year. Yes, I'll admit, the days after Christmas weren't so great as we were still establishing boundaries, but we're more than perfect and I was happy with where we were.

"Aww! Come here," I said, holding my arms out for him to come and hug me. He reluctantly dragged himself off the couch and stalked over. He came dipped in for the hug. It was warm and full of love.

"This isn't gonna make you catch feelings, is it?" I asked, my chin resting on his shoulder as I rubbed his back.

"I never lost them," he admitted, which made me feel bad. I had to admit, I was aware my kindness could easily be mistaken for flirting, so maybe being this friendly with Lewis wasn't a good idea. I didn't want to lead him on and I didn't want to feel obligated to get back with him. Tying myself down was the last thing I wanted after only 4 months of being single.