Natsu x Reader: Instincts [requested]

A/N: Thank you @WickedAngel_81 for the request. Hunter × Hunter inspired. Thank you for 71k!

*******

"I don't belong here," (Y/N) choked. "I don't deserve it."

Natsu's eyes held nothing but determination as he shouted, "Are you kidding? You're our friend. Of course you belong here."

Now, maybe we should start at the beginning. (Y/N) (L/N), daughter of Mard Geer, grandparents unknown. There was no doubt that she stuck out from the rest. Hell, she made it quite obvious that she herself didn't believe that she was worthy of any unconditional love. Her father would tell her stories about their "creator" and how powerful he was. However, these stories were always covered in darkness. This powerful being was described to be the epitome of evil, and she was told that she would soon follow in their footsteps.

But (Y/N) didn't want to do that. Along with the stories of her ancestors' evil tendencies, it was revealed that he was an extremely powerful wizard. And that intrigued her. Ever since then, she had dreamed of becoming a wizard, and she wouldn't stop until she did. So, one day, (Y/N) took her chance when Mard Geer left and darted towards the nearest mode of transportation.

The (H/C) haired girl watched as the place she had called home passed before her eyes. Excitement, anxiety, anticipation. It all pulsed through her at a rapid rate. There were discoveries to be made,  there were doubts, and, most importantly, there were dreams.

So when she arrived at the train station of Margaret, all that excitement started to bubble within her. All of these people, all the noise. It was all so unfamiliar to her. And she loved it. For once, she was finally experiencing what she had imagined everyone else lived through.

A child ran into her at that moment, causing her to stumble back a few steps. When she looked down, she saw that this child just smiled sheepishly, apologized, and waved as he skipped away. Yes, this atmosphere was already better than the one at home. Because, at home, there was constant training and constant criticism. She had only been in this town for twenty minutes, but it emitted an aura of comfort and happiness.

"Did you hear what the Fairy Tail guild did in Oshibana?"

(Y/N)'s curiosity got the better of her, so she discreetly shuffled to a spot where she could successfully eavesdrop on the conversation. She knew of the existence of guilds, but she had never seen one before. What were they like?

"Are you talking about how they completely destroyed that whole row of houses the other day?"

"They're out of control."

"Well I guess that's to be expected of those wizards. They're way too laid back about this type of thing."

(Y/N) strained her ears to take in more, but they had started to walk away from their previous spot. (E/C) eyes watched them leave, but that didn't mean she had gotten all of the information she needed. Afterall, she was trained in information gathering, in disguising herself, in dealing with collateral. She wasn't going to give up just yet, so she did what her mind told her to. And that was to look for another source of information.

After spotting another pair by a food stand, (Y/N) rushed over and jumped in, "Excuse me, but could you tell me where Fairy Tail is? I'm very lost."

"Fairy Tail?" One of the women echoed. "You don't want to go there. They're all troublemakers with way too much time on their hands."

The other woman added, "Yeah, they were here just last week and they completely wrecked the place."

"Are they strong?"