Breaking the Rules

As I slinked between the trees, I desperately hoped that my guards hadn't noticed my absence yet. The walk to my destination gave me plenty of time to rethink what I was about to do. Not only was I breaking my house arrest, but I was also breaking into the house of probably the last person you'd want to be caught home intruding by.

Would it even be possible to? Would the dogs alert anybody? There was no way that this could work.

I peered over the bushes at the house set close to the treeline and up a sloping hill. I couldn't see any dogs. What were the chances that she would be alone?

Sneaking up to a back window, I peeked into the house to see an empty bedroom, probably Kiba's judging by the intermediate messiness. Honestly, I was expecting his room to be messier; I had certainly done worse to rooms. Glances through other windows showed similarly empty rooms with no signs of life so far. Though, judging by the smell coming from the kitchen, somebody had to be cooking.

I found the living room window, deeming it a good point of entry and sliding open the fortuitously unlocked pane. Careful to make no sound as I lowered my feet to the floor, I scoured the room for signs of life. All I could sense was the sound of clattering pots from the kitchen.

Slowly making my way over to the kitchen, I suddenly realized that I actually had no plans on how to introduce myself, and, in fact, maybe just trying to knock on the door would have been the better option.

Rounding the corner, I peered into the kitchen to find it... empty?

I had barely any time to register my confusion before I was flipped around and pressed against the wall with a spatula at my throat.

I was now staring into the piercing eyes of the terrifyingly irate Tsume Inuzuka.

"Who the hell are you, and why are you in my house?" she asked smoothly, her tone a stark contrast with the fiery rage in her eyes.

"I- I- I-" I stuttered, momentarily scared out of coming up with a lie.

Tsume scanned me with her eyes, probably realizing I was just a child and deeming me not a threat, before straightening back up, removing the spatula from my neck and glaring down at me, "How do you know my son?" she asked, more exasperated and tired than I was expecting.

"Who says I know him?" I huffed, "I could be here for Hana; we could be madly in love for all you know."

Tsume's brows lowered, "Hana doesn't make friends with strange people. It seems to be my son's specialty."

"Fine then." I scoffed, "I'm his girlfriend then."

Tsume sighed, "A blatant lie, but you wouldn't be the first mentally addled girl he's been around. Not to mention that disturbing bug child."

"What was that?" I growled.

"Did something I say anger you?" she asked with an air of aloofness.

"I'd be careful what you say about Shino." I clarified, "The 'bug child'. And, I'll have you know that Hinata is one of the most intelligent people I've met."

Tsume quirked a brow before frowning, "Enough with the diversions. Just tell me how the hell you know my son."

"I'm just friends with him." I threw my hands up in defeat.

"Well, if you're here for him, he's not here." she scoffed, "Apparently, he thinks he's too good to stay at home now."

"I didn't come here to see him." I responded, earning another suspicious glare.

"Then what in God's name did you break into my house for?" she snarled, causing me to shrink back a little.

"I don't know how to cook!" I blurted.