Cursed Shit

"BETH!"

I didn't need to understand the actual word to know what a scream was, to know what sheer distress sounded like, but I sure as hell would've liked an explanation for what I was seeing. Sakura was crouched over an unconscious Sasuke, her legs twisted in awkward shapes, eyes and hands locked onto Hinata... ghost white with some strange creature attached to her.

A creature that turned out to be a man, or at least kind of looked like a man, as Shino and I leapt onto the neighboring branches and Hinata grabbed a hold of his head, ripping him from her with a guttural cry filled with pain and fear. With a jolt, I watched as he detached himself from Hinata and rewound his fucking neck back into his body.

I was already midair as Hinata stumbled back into Sakura, the other man stumbling back similarly with a kind of odd, dazed look to his eyes, and although I wanted to leap over their and beat the shit out of him for whatever the fuck he just did... I couldn't. No, if I got near him, I'd die. I knew that, Akamaru knew that, hell, even Shino looked like he couldn't break his gaze from the man for fear he might do something in a moment. I almost couldn't move; he smelled like death.

"Run!" I tore my eyes from the creature to the desperate ones of Sakura as she shoved Hinata into me, "Get her out of here! Hurry! Please!"

I don't know why I did, but I listened, taking Hinata into my arms and fleeing in the dead opposite direction of the scene and praying that he wouldn't follow us. God, don't follow us. Who was that? What was that? Why had he attacked them and what the hell was Hinata doing there? What did he do to her? We- we just needed to move, anywhere, away.

"Kiba."

I jerked, rounding to find that it was Shino, just Shino, and we both stopped where we stood. I guess the 'Holy shit' mantra I was hearing was me, but... "Holy shit- Shino, what the fuck? Who was that? What happened? O-Oh my God-"

"Kiba."

"I-is she dead?" I glanced down at the girl in my arms, she didn't even smell like Hinata anymore, "F-fuck- no- Shino, am I carrying a corpse? I-is she- Why are we stopping!?"

Shino firmly took me by the shoulders, "We need to take a moment and actually assess the situation. We need to find out how she is. She isn't dead now, and we should try to keep it that way."

I wanted to argue, but a shuddering breath from Hinata broke me from my terrified state, and then I was promptly filled with anger. Why the hell did I run? Why the hell didn't I stay there and fucking kill that bastard!? And what about Sasuke and Sakura? God-fucking-dammit, I felt like such a coward, but was there anything I could have even done?

I knelt down, slowly trying to pull Hinata away from me, but she clung onto my collar like her very life depended on it, and maybe it did. Every labored breath she took, every fleeting, weak heartbeat just made me more and more pissed. Who the hell did this to her and why? "She- she's struggling to breathe."

"Kiba," How the hell could he be so calm right now? "Panicking will do us no good." Easy for you to say, you emotionless lunatic. He slowly extended a hand to her shoulder, "What do you know?"

"Sh-she's... cold. Really fucking cold." My own voice was shaking to match hers, anger freezing over into dread as I was able to pull her back enough to see that she could somehow get paler. Her eyes were screwed shut, brow tensed as she muttered something I couldn't quite make out, and Akamaru, God... had I forgotten about him?, crawled up next to her to curl into her side. "She's shaking... I don't even know if she can hear us." Shino frowned, kneeling closer and pulling back the hood of her jacket to reveal- "What the fuck is that?"