The Prelims

"Sakura? I think she's waking up."

I could vaguely hear the voices of my friends echoing throughout the large, dark room. My eyes darted around the misty void, searching for any signs of life. I turned to see two large eyes suspended in the distance, staring at me.

I gazed at them for a long time. They were glassy white, mesmerizing. As the eyes stared back the left began to bleed. I stood, frozen, as the left eye became overcome by red.

"Sakura!?"

I sat bolt upright, gasping from my nightmare. Naruto and Sasuke were both crouched in front of me, wide-eyed.

"You still have a functioning brain right?" Sasuke weakly joked.

"Where's Hina?" I sputtered, trying to sit up.

"Hey," Ino walked over and placed a hand on my shoulder, "calm down, you're still pretty messed up."

"But where is she?" I frantically scanned the room.

"She's sitting over there." Ino sadly pointed behind her.

My gaze followed to see Hina, Kiba, and Shino sitting against a wall. Kiba had his arm wrapped around her, she was resting her head on her shoulder and he was resting his head on hers. Shino was sitting on the other side of her, Akamaru in his lap. It would've been cute if they didn't all look so dead inside.

"What... happened to her? To them?" I whispered.

"We don't know." Naruto answered sadly, "she isn't really talking and Kiba and Shino don't want to either."

"Take me over there." I grabbed Naruto's arm.

"Are you sure that's the best idea?" Sasuke looked nervously between Hina and me.

"I need to see her." I begged.

Naruto and Ino helped me to my feet, and we began to head over across the balcony to Hina. As we approached we saw Shikamaru crouch down in front of Hina with a bottle in his hands.

"You need to drink something." He quietly insisted, holding out the bottle to her. She just stared at it.

"He's right, Hinata. You're dehydrated and dangerously low on chakra." Shino said as Kiba took the bottle from Shikamaru.

"You beautiful, dehydrated bitch," I tried to keep tears out of my voice as I stood in front of her, her head snapped up to look at me, "drink water."

"Sakura?" she had such a sad, hopeful look on her face as she held a hand up to me. I carefully sat down and took it.

"Yep, it's me." I soothed. "How about we dri-"

I was interrupted by her hand on my leg, immediately feeling healing chakra flow into me.

"Goddammit Hina!" Kiba snapped and pulled her hand off.

"You need to stop." Shino chastised.

"She's hurt!" Hina protested.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"She's been trying to heal you since she saw you." Shikamaru sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "but she's in real rough shape, and we're all pretty sure she's about to die of chakra exhaustion."

"She won't eat or drink or sleep." Kiba sounded so defeated, "and she keeps trying to heal people."

"Hold on, let me handle this." I motioned for Shikamaru to move over so I could be directly in front of Hina. I gently took her hands in mine and directly looked her in the eyes.