What are We Fighting For?

I could hardly stop the shaking in my legs as I walked to join Choji in front of the enemy shinobi.

"It seems your leader has abandoned you." Jirobo noted.

"You're wrong!" I shouted as I ran towards them, "Choji isn't alone in this!"

"So he left behind two then? How does it feel to be the weakest in the group?" he smirked.

That stung a bit. I bit back harsh words; they'd do nothing to help me here. I pulled out a knife and took a battle stance.

"You ready for this, Choji?" I asked tensely.

"Yes," he answered simply.

"A fat one and a little girl. You two pose no threat to me." Jirobo sneered. I gritted my teeth, he was really trying to get under our skins.

"Don't listen to him Tenten." Choji asserted, "You were chosen for this mission for a reason."

"And I'm going to live up to that!" I shouted as I advanced quickly. Running up to the guy and stabbing upward with my knife. He dodged with surprising speed for a guy his size, and before I could even react he swung a leg up and kicked me so hard I flew back into the trees.

"Tenten!" Choji shouted.

"He's really strong!" I gasped out, dragging myself to my feet. I needed a different weapon for this fight. Pulling out a scroll, I summoned one of my swords. I had taken Hinata's advice to heart and began training with Anko. Hopefully, it would be enough for now.

"This isn't going to be easy." Choji agreed as he began one of his own jutsus. Jirobo punched the ground, disrupting it and bringing us off of our feet. Choji countered with his human boulder. I regained my balance, preparing to follow up Choji's attack with one of my own.

My heart dropped when I saw our enemy effortlessly grab Choji mid attack and punch him into the ground. I raced forward, preparing to go for another stab with my new weapon. He grabbed the sword by the blade with his free hand.

"Puny weapons like this one will do nothing to help you." He smirked, shattering it effortlessly.

This was not looking good. I reached to my belt, hands moving fast to unbuckle the sheath and pull a knife, smoothly bringing it up to stand the hand that was now moving towards my face.

Jirobo jerked back with a shout, allowing Choji and I to fall back.

"We need a plan." I whispered urgently.

"Yeah," Choji took out some green pill and ate it, "We do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Were they going to catch me? Why was Hinata in a barrel? Why did she do this? Who were those people? So many questions raced through my head as I sped between the trees, trying to not let the barrel I was carrying slow me down too much. Hanabi needed Hinata. I needed Hinata. There was no way I could let them catch her. I was close to the village, right?

I heard a vague whistling behind me, my Byakugan alerting me to an incoming attack. I launched myself from the branch I was standing on, an arrow whizzing past my head. No, no, no, they caught up to me. Another one landed right where I was about to step, and I stumbled to avoid it. The one with eight-arms had followed me it seems, but the others weren't far behind.

Sasuke broke from the treeline next to me. Trying to move in closer. Another arrow was shot at my feet. I fumbled to recover, losing considerable speed.

"I got you now! You can't run forever!" the enemy shouting gleefully. I looked around desperately, Sasuke was close enough right?

I felt something barely graze my back as I leapt to another branch.