Part 49

Dear Diary, 

Today was a very quiet day. We first went sightseeing in the Capitol. We saw the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, the Capitol building and the White House. We went on the tour of inside and it was a gorgeous building. Jackie Kennedy sure did some great work refurbishing it! 

However, later in the day, Kate and I decided to go to Arlington alone. I had bought a bunch of yellow carnations and I would lay them down. First Kate and I went and saw the grave of Bobby Kennedy. I held in my tears. Kate shook her head slowly. She and I rested our heads into each other's. 

We then walked over to the Eternal Flame. I saw the slabs marking the resting places. There was a photographer nearby and he snapped some photos of us. One of us looking down and one of me bending down laying down my carnatians on the graves. I blew them a kiss and then I stood up and joined Kate. 

We stood in silence and looked at the graves. We then heard footsteps behind us. We didn't look around but then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked around and there was a person I knew. "Jack?" I asked. He smiled. I looked at him and smiled. Kate smiled too. "Hi Dayna" he said with a grin. I hugged him so tightly. "What are you doing here?" I asked him. 

"Well, you're all leaving tomorrow and I felt I needed to pay my respects to my grandfather and my grandmother too" he smiled. I took his hand and we all stood looking down on the graves. I stood in the middle and I held Kate and Jack's hand. We then started to cry. Kate and I gently sobbed. Jack started crying too. 

To him it must be very tough to come here. Kate pulled me into a hug and she and I sobbed together. Eventually Kate decided to go back to the hotel and Jack and I remained at the cemetery. As his mother is an Ambassador, he had Secret Service agents with him. We sat on the steps leading up to the grave. 

The sun started to come out. I smiled. "It's shining for them" I smiled. "Yeah" Jack sounded sad. He took off his jacket. He was wearing a sort of suit and he put his jacket around me. He and I sat on the steps cuddling each other, staying close. We didn't say anything. We just held hands and stayed close. 

"I don't want to be the Senator for New York anymore. I want to be the Senator for Maryland. That way I can live in Washington and be close to here" Jack whispered. I looked at him. I then smiled faintly. "You and I will be married then and we'll live here" Jack added. I shook my head. "You don't want to marry me" I frowned. Jack insisted that I marry him in the future. 

I smiled and we kissed again. We then paid our final respects. I then climbed into Jack's car and he drove me to the hotel when he then set off for the airport. 

It was such a happy time at Arlington and I'll never forget it. We finished our packing tonight and we then settled into bed. We would be going back to England in the morning. I would stay in contact with Jack and I couldn't wait to get back though. I will see George again and we have Scotland and France to look forward too.