Too Devastating to Talk About

Dreamz walked in to the kitchen, knowing that Jett would be there making something. In her hand was a piece of paper, something that seemed to be the cause of the scowl that rested on her face. She huffed, taking a seat on one of the stools- clicking her pen as she continued to stare at the words that were before her. 

"Hey Jett?" She queried, looking up and resting her chin on her hand. 

"Yeah Sheila?"

"What happened to Aus during one of the world wars?" 

At the mention of her question Jett froze, his face growing dark as he remembered the events that happened during that particular era- his mind focusing on one key event that he wished could leave him  be. He gripped the bench, his breaths getting shakier as he thought more of it- his mind replaying the memory. 

Immediately Dreamz bit her lip, guilt flooding onto her face. 

"Aw Jett, I'm sorry. I didn't think... It's fine you don't need to answer, I can do my-" 

"No it's fine." He breathed, wiping his face with his hands- trying to calm himself down. "I... Uh I need to face this somehow, can't let it bother me now can I? Alright. Well... There was a war... Uh during the thirties back in the West. Some of my soldiers were camping there and... And then it happened."

"What's... It?"

He inhaled sharply, shutting his green orbs momentarily before opening them once more. Uttering a single sentence. 

"The Great Emu War." 

Dreamz couldn't help but burst out laughing at that. Burying her face in her hands as her shoulders shake, her actions nearly causing her to fall off the chair. 

"Oh my god Jett." She shrieked, still laughing. Not able to contain herself. "Oh god what did you guys do? Tame the emus to death?" 

"We tried shooting them." He continued. "But our machine guns were useless.... They did nothing... Nothing at all." 

"Oh goodness." Cried Dreamz, not able to stop her fit of giggles. "How did you guys won? Against emus?"

"That's the thing... We didn't win... It was the emus." 

And at the sound of that Dreamz's chair fell out from under her, the girl collapsing on the ground as she clutched her sides- still laughing with tears streaming down her face. 

"You lost to emus! Oh Jesus Christ i can't!" Wheezed out the girl, unable to stop the laughter. It continued to increase in volume, it being dragged out longer as if to make her sound insane as she thought more of Jett losing to a bunch of emus. 

"Sheila, I'm telling you. You don't mess with emus." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes the emu war is a real thing. i did not make this up. 

Also- fun fact, on the Australian passport you would see a kangaroo and an emu bearing the coat of arms because they are the only two animals native to Aus that can't walk backwards