His Legacy

Info - ghost, dead partner, sadness, toxic reader, heartbreak, mention of cheating

I missed him like a lost limb. He was my business partner, but also my secret lover. It was forbidden, I'd been married off at seventeen to an older man. He'd been my confidant for a long time. Our business had taken the world by storm, a man and a woman working together as business partners was unheard of. Yet we prevailed.

It had been years since he'd died and I had broken. Work consumed me because it was the last bit of him I had. I pushed my workers. I needed my business to be efficient. It had to be perfect because if it was possible he was watching, he needed to see his legacy thriving.

It was deep in the night and Christmas Eve, and yet I would not budge from my work desk. Christmas was nothing without him anyhow.

"Y/n," a soft voice said. I looked up and I saw him, Timothée.

"Angel!" I darted forward, but when I tried to kiss him I fell through him.

"I'm not really here my love, and I'm not here for long at all," he said, hands ghosting on my face.

"I miss you," I said, soft tears falling.

"I miss you too, but in the short time I'm present, I need to tell you something," he said desperately.

"Our company was not my legacy. You were. The only thing I regret leaving is you. Darling, become soft again, be the gentle and kind hearted girl I left behind. Stop working our employees to the bone. I need you to leave a legacy of kindness."

"I will Timothée, I promise," I nodded, tears streaming down my face.

"Merry Christmas my love," he smiled as he faded away.