Hitting Mommy

Warnings - fighting, destroying property, mentions of domestic abuse

"What the hell is this bill?" I demanded.

"What does it matter when we have money to burn?"

"I don't care about that, you promised you'd start consulting me on these things Timothée, I need to know I can trust you."

"You're so damn controlling," he snarled.

"Controlling because I don't like coming home to a new car in the driveway and pulling up the banking app to see less zeros than before? All I want is you to tell me!" I said, feeling helpless and angry all at the same time.

"Fuck you!" He snapped and punched the wall hard.

"Your burning money can pay to fix that wall because it sure as hell isn't coming out of my paycheck," I shouted.

"Yeah, your paycheck," he scoffed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You don't need to work! But you do it anyway when you could be home with the kids," he complained.

"Sexist much? You said you wanted to be a stay at home dad for a while," I challenged.

"I did, but I meant-"

"Ahhhhhh!" The wail of our two children carried down stairs. We gave one another a worried look before we launched ourselves up the stairs to their shared bedroom. Ian and Alana were holding each other and crying.

"What's the matter?" Timothée asked softly, pulling the entwined children onto his lap, I sat in front of them.

"Bad dream?" I hoped.

"You were fighting and screaming, and daddy hit you!"

Timothée went so pale I worried he would pass out. He looked like he was calming himself down from a potential panic attack.

"I would never, not in a million years, no matter how mad I was, would I ever hit mommy. She is my favorite person along with you two, I hit the wall. It was a bad thing to do, but it's going to be okay."

My heart softened at his confession.

"Mommy was being too hard on daddy and he was just frustrated, no big deal," I supplied.

"No, daddy was being a Jack-.... A meanie, and wasn't telling mommy what she needed to know. He will do better now, he just gets embarrassed about what he buys sometimes," he explained and the children were calming down, no longer clinging to one another.

"Ohh, Timmy, I get that, why didn't you just say so. I should've known your humble self would feel awkward telling me you were about to drop 5k on a ring," I laughed.

"It's okay, I could've communicated better. I'm not trying to belittle your job, or be sexiest, but when I said I wanted to be a stay at home dad, I meant I wanted you home too. I miss you so much when you're at work. I just want to be a family for a while," he explained sheepishly. I could've cried from how sweet it was. I leaned over the kids and kissed him. Ian and Alana scrambled off his lap both making disgusted noises as I happily kissed my husband.