First Choice

Warnings - self deprecating, mentions of alcohol

"Hello," said a voice. I was surprised anyone was talking to me. I turned to see an absolutely gorgeous man. My heart sunk, he was just my type, and that meant he wouldn't like me.

"Jessica is taken," I said dismally.

"Who the hell is Jessica?" He asked. I pointed to my willowy friend in red lipstick that was next to me talking to a guy. She'd been approached immediately.

"You wanted to ask me if my friend Jessica is single right?" I asked because it was commonly why boys spoke to me.

"No, I wanted to speak to you, I'm Timothée," he said, putting out his hand almost awkwardly. Was he nervous? To talk to me?

"What's your name?" He urged.

"Y/n," I said quietly.

"I love that name. You're really pretty, plus you put your makeup and outfit together really nicely. I'm into fashion and I like your look."

"Wow thank you, I like yours too. A glittery leopard print jacket is a bold move, but you pull it off well," I said, eager to have some attention. His cheeks were spattered with pink from my compliment.

"W-wanna come sit with me and have a drink?" He asked.

"Yes," I said quickly. He didn't seem turned off by my eagerness, but instead, invigorated and confident. We talked into the night.

"You're like the first authentic person I've met in years," he sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"That's pretty much the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me," I said shakily.

"Oh don't lie, I bet you're getting compliments all over the place," he chuckled, when I didn't laugh, he looked embarrassed. "Aren't you?"

I hated that I felt tears prick my eyes. I turned away.

"Oh, well, you should be. You deserve a million compliments," he said, taking my hands. I was glad he didn't mention the wetness of my eyes.

"Thanks, you so do too," I smiled.

I went home feeling happy and warm, which was rare for a night out with Jessica. I fell asleep happily and dreamt of him.

The next day was Sunday and there was a knock at my door. I was confused because I didn't have a guest coming. It must be a package or something similar. Perhaps Jehovah Witness?

"Hello?" I asked in surprise when I was opening the door to a huge bouquet of flowers.

"Sorry, here," the flowers were moved and I saw Timothée. He was smiling.

"Timothée?" I said in confusion. I had told him where I lived, but why was he here?

"I'm sorry I was too nervous to do this last night, but would you go out with me? I really don't want to give up whatever connection we have," he said earnestly.

"Are you serious?" I asked in shock.

"Yeah, I really like you," he smiled.

"I've been picked second my entire life, and now you walk in, this is crazy," I said, shaking my head.

"Well I choose you first," he said confidently. I launched myself at him and kissed him,