Killed On Impact

Info - argument, mentions of sex/cock warming/phone sex, death of a loved one, drunk driver, grieving partner, cremation, diary, unresolved fight, ignoring someone after a fight, car crash

"I don't know why you do this!" I screamed.

"What, care about you?" She demanded.

"No, pester and nag about times and places and trivial shit. It's like you don't trust me."

"I trust you baby," she said, trying to soften me by putting a hand on my chest.

"I-I know it's annoying when I ask again and again, but I love you. Knowing your schedule makes me feel closer to you, knowing filming dates helps me prepare for when you aren't around. I miss you like hell when you're away," she said. I threw her hand off my chest.

"Ever think you're a little too obsessed with me?" I tried, knowing it was a low blow.

"Don't play that game Timothée Chalamet, who wants phone sex every night, who always HAS to sleep inside me when he gets back, who told me I turn him to jelly when he sees me again. Was that not you?

"Fine, whatever, I miss you too. The difference is, those things have to deal directly with you, not where you've been or where you're going in the next hour. God forbid I deviate from what I said, you'll freak out and ask me a million questions."

"I just love you, but if you can't accept that, whatever. I need to cool down, I'm going on a car ride," she snapped and left with the keys. I rolled my eyes. I was stable enough that I didn't need to ask her fifty questions about where she was going.

I woke up groggily the next morning, surprised that she wasn't beside me. Was this her trying to get me back for saying I didn't need to know her whereabouts? Pft two could play at that game, I wouldn't even look at my phone. I wouldn't cave and text her.

Around noon I started getting a bunch of calls. When I checked who they were from, I noticed it was her mom. Had she manipulated her mom into this fight too? I ignored them. Oddly though, calls were coming from other people she knew too, but not her. Curiosity got the better of me, and answered her sisters call.

"Hello?"

"Timothée," her voice was broken, a shred of what it had once been. I knew something awful had happened and I'd fucked up big time.

"Is she okay?" I asked immediately.

"A drunk driver drove into her, she, she was killed on impact," she sobbed.

"No, no, this can't be real. This can't be happening. You're lying, please, say you're lying," I begged. I didn't hear was she said but she wasn't lying, I felt it in my gut.

Our last words had been an argument. I should've felt honored she wanted to know about me. I'd been such a fucking dick.

Days went by where I couldn't eat or sleep. The cops had tried to contact me first but hadn't been able to, of course. They'd salvaged her diary from the wreck and I wish it'd been destroyed. I knew she wrote about how our last conversation had made her feel. I didn't want to read it, but I would hate myself if I didn't.

The funeral had me a total wreck I was sobbing and apologizing to her and begging her to come back to me. She was cremated due to how beat up she was. I got some of the ashes in a necklace that I was never, ever taking off. I'd be buried with it on.

Finally, I knew it was time to read the diary. Tears seared my eyes as I flipped through it. I noticed my name with hearts around it and I felt sick. I got to the last entry.

"I don't try to be overbearing, but missing him when he's away is one of the hardest things to deal with. How do you deal with the love of your life being gone?"

I dripped tears onto the last sentence. I didn't think I'd ever have to be in that state permanently.

"I trust that man with my whole heart, I just like to know where he is and what he's doing. I don't want him crying himself to sleep or anything, but I was hoping he could understand how much I miss him when he's away. He's my forever, he is it for me, I just wish he could see it how I do. I hope I come home tomorrow and he apologizes and kisses me all over my face, I love when he does that. I love most of the things he does."

I was weeping. I was crying so hard I couldn't breathe. I had no idea what to do. How would I live without her? How had I let her leave without resolving anything. How was this real, I was supposed to be holding her right now, instead, I was rocking back and forth, holding her words.