Chapter 7 - Confession

(Author's notes: Feel free to listen to "I fell in love with the devil" by Avril Lavigne again, starting when you reach the part: "On my way back...")

...

I went back to the Kingdom. Carol came back a little later.

"Sorry. I talked with Daryl for a moment," she said.

"How is he?"

"Better, I think."

"Strange... I didn't feel anything when he showed up."

"Really? Your whole face went red."

"But not because of him. I was afraid he heard something."

Carol looked at me angrily.

"Now that you mention it... I don't even know what to say. For fuck's sake..."

"Yeah, I know... First, I was just feeling pity for Negan, then I started to ease up, he was talking about his wife and then I started to like him, he was mocking me, but then he was just joking and it all became neutral and friendly..."

"I can't believe it... Look," she started to whisper. "Whatever you do... be extremely careful. Maggie and Daryl and some other people agree that Negan should be dead. If anyone would find out about... this thing going on, maybe they would want to kill you too."

"Nothing's going on. I'm trying to resist..."

"What exactly happened?" she asked with an irritated sigh.

"A hug. I had a panic attack and he helped."

"A panic attack? Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Because of the storm?"

"Yes."

"And he could calm you down?"

"I was surprised too."

She shook her head.

"Also, he was talking about himself, and more often he was talking to me so eventually, I got to know him," I continued. Carol was still shaking her head.

"I just can't... Really. There are a lot of nice guys... Ugh..." she waved off.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry for your feelings. You can't do anything about them."

"I know. I still feel ashamed. He is a murderer."

"Aren't we all?" she asked. "Just... be very careful."

She hugged me. I felt happy somehow. I didn't know why.

Maybe it was relief?

I stayed with Carol the whole week. She tried to convince me at first to stay away from Negan, but I knew nobody wanted to volunteer to feed him. Carol agreed and eventually accepted the situation. She told me about his husband, who abused her.

"Then you fell in love with the wrong guy too, you know how it is. But let me clear it, Negan wouldn't hurt me. You stayed with your husband even when he hit you regularly?"

"It was a long time ago. I was a different person. I guess he formed my personality, that's why I am who I am today."

"Negan wouldn't hurt me. He told me a lot of things, you know. About himself and how he regrets killing people."