Chapter 18 - Live or not

(Author's notes: Listen to "Wonderland" by Taylor Swift. ❤︎)

...

Quinn, Kingdom

I was dreaming about him. I saw brown eyes. Then I woke up. I was lying on this bed, staring at the ceiling. Like most of the days nowadays. I looked to the window, the sun was about to rise. It will be a sunny day, I could already tell from the sun's rays. My arms were tied to the bed since I threw a glass of water against the wall.

Negan...

I closed my eyes, tight, then I opened them again. How can someone's life just collapse like this? Like we have no control over anything. I felt mad.

I still wanted to die.

Of course, I had nothing in reach to do anything and Carol was guarding me all the time. Why would anything change? Just because I was kept alive, I felt the same way. I was scared and I was heartbroken.

And there she came, Carol, just when I thought about her.

Sun just barely came up, but she was right there stepping through the door.

"Good morning," she said, with a little smile. Does she really think if she smiles that would make me happy? I didn't smile at all, since I woke up here after I almost died.

I nodded slightly, as much as I could while lying on the bed. She came to me and started to untie my arms.

"What?" I asked surprised.

"Doc says you can walk around a little outside. Do you want to?" she asked. I rolled my eyes.

"What's the point?"

"I told you, I don't give up on you and you will get through this. Let's go take a walk."

I sighed, sat up on the bed. My wrist still had a bandage over the cut.

I dressed up for the first time in real clothes. Since I was here, I was tied to the bed in pajamas. This was the first time I was allowed to get up.

"Come on," Carol smiled at me again when I finished dressing up. We headed out. The sun was blinding me, I had to blink a couple of times to get used to it. We were slowly strolling around the Kingdom. People were already tending to the plants. I saw a few men leading horses to the gates, then mounting them and leaving. We were walking without a single word spoken.

"What's the point?" I asked Carol again. She stopped and turned to me.

"You are not without a purpose. You just haven't found it yet. From now on, if anything happens to you, just think about it that it wouldn't have happened if you were already dead. For example, you couldn't taste this strawberry," she held up a huge strawberry in front of me. I took it and took a bite.

"Wow. I stayed alive for a strawberry," I said sarcastically.

"Don't think about it like that."

"Okay, so I traded Negan for a strawberry."

Carol made a facepalm. She sighed angrily.

"You shouldn't think about him. You should try to get over him."

"Sure," I finished eating the strawberry. "If I told you to stop thinking about a pink elephant, you would only think about it more."

"That's why we should avoid the topic at all," she told me, thoughtfully.

I nodded and turned around. I heard a motorcycle. I rolled my eyes. Carol was smiling wildly.

"I was always curious, does Ezekiel know about Daryl?"