Chapter 37 - Fairy-tales

Negan, Alexandria

Negan was lying on his bed, throwing the tennis ball up and then catching it. Up and catch, up and catch.

"Hey," a tiny little voice came from the window. Negan smiled widely, put down the ball, and sat up.

"What's up, Jude?" he looked at the little girl and saw that something was off. She was gloomy. "What's the matter?" he asked, his smile faded away.

Judith sighed.

"I don't know what to do."

"About what?"

"Mom doesn't want to let in strangers and it feels like we don't help those we love, anymore... Do we even love them?"

"Wow, you're really philosophical today," said Negan and smiled again, then he became serious. "Listen, your mom has her reasons why she is so careful. She wants to protect you and your brother."

"But why don't we help Carol and uncle Daryl?"

Negan rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. He continued in a mocking voice.

""Uncle Daryl" wants to be alone. He doesn't need help."

"Then he doesn't love us anymore, that's why he is not coming?"

"I know you miss him, but there's nothing you can do about it. Daryl will come when he wants. Maybe he is busy with something."

Judith thought about it for a while, then looked at Negan again.

"Can you tell me about uncle Daryl? Or about my dad?"

Negan's face winced. Surely she doesn't want to hear about how I beat up "uncle Daryl" and fed him dog food, while he was lying in his own vomit in a cell.

Negan cleared his throat, then looked at Judith.

"Well... Uncle Daryl was... is... a really fierce warrior. I had to lock him into a cell because I was so afraid of him. I was afraid he might ruin my kingdom."

"Your kingdom? The Sanctuary?"

"Yes. He is a really good fighter and has many skills that I don't. This can be said about your father as well."

"You don't like uncle Daryl and my dad."

"No, I don't. Sorry. They ruined my kingdom. We have some disagreements on how to live in this world."

"For example?" asked Judith and sat right by the window. She didn't care anymore if someone sees her there.

"Well... Your father thought you can all live happily in peace with pink dust and rainbows around Alexandria, and I think... thought... that we can only survive if we are in a strict line, ruled by fear."

"Dad believed in people."

"Yes, he did. I saw resources in them."

"You don't think like that anymore?"
"It's really, reeeaaaaallly hard to admit it but... maybe your dad was right. Maybe."

Judith smiled. Negan continued.

"I didn't like him because of his ideals. But I did like your brother, Carl. He was a badass, just like you."

"Really?" she smiled widely. "Why do you think that?"

"Well... - Negan remembered how Carl looked at him when he bashed Glenn and Abraham's heads... He didn't want to remember that. "He was... he was really brave. He sneaked into the Sanctuary, killed some of my men. He was fearless. A really good kid. Your father must have been really proud of him. You remind me of Carl a lot. Your dad would be proud of you too."