Chapter 93 - Another kind of heartache

Quinn, On the way to DC

We were walking in complete silence for a while, killing the rest of the walkers in bags just to find the tunnel blocked by a subway train. That was when Alden noticed that the kid and the old guy were missing. The two idiots took our supplies. Of course, it was instantly blamed on Negan for scaring them off.

"Hey! It's their decision, don't try to blame their shit on us!" I stated very strictly. The guy shut his mouth while I locked eyes with him. Of course, he was one of Maggie's friends. Daryl shushed everyone, we heard the growling noise of walkers. They were approaching us, so we cleared them. Negan and Gabriel checked the train, it was blocked on both sides. Daryl suggested climbing on top of the train. I didn't like this at all.

"We don't know what's on the other side!" I said.

"Go!" ordered Maggie. She didn't have to say it twice, her friends climbed up immediately. Negan and I were hesitating. I turned around when I heard the noise of more walkers. There was a horde.

"Where did they come from?!" I asked desperately.

"The tunnel carries our voices. They might have heard it from afar and came through a crack on the wall or something," explained Jesus. Maggie's friends climbed up on the train. Negan and I glanced at each other. We were still hesitating. Suddenly, Daryl's dog ran off.

"Dog! No!" yelled Daryl, but the dog ran away. "Meet me at the next platform!"

"Daryl, wait!" yelled Maggie.

"Daryl!" I yelled after him, but he was already off after the dog. I rolled my eyes. I was furious but I didn't want him to die. Only Maggie, Negan, and I were on the ground, the rest was on top of the train.

"Maggie, Quinn, come on!" yelled Jesus as he reached down with his hand. I locked eyes with Maggie. She turned around and kept killing walkers. I grabbed the ladder, Jesus helped me up.

"Negan!" I yelled. He climbed up and I grabbed his hand. Now Maggie was the only one left. She was struggling to climb up. I'm not proud of it, but the thought crossed my mind... what if we leave her here? The hatred against Negan would go away with her. But no. I'm not a murderer. At least not in this sense. Negan and I exchanged glances, I think he might have had the same thoughts. A walker grabbed Maggie's leg.

"Quinn!" she yelled desperately. Negan and I reached our hands down at the same time and grabbed Maggie. We pulled her up. As soon as she was up, she released our hands immediately.

"You're fucking welcome," I said grumpily and turned my back on her. Negan did the same. We hopped inside the train with Maggie following us, panting.

"Everyone good?" asked Jesus looking around.

"Yeah," panted Maggie.

"Daryl went after the stupid dog..." I said quietly. I was so mad at him. The last interaction between us was me hitting his face... again. And the thought came again... what if this was the last time I saw him? It was like Negan read my mind.

"He'll be fine. He survives everything" he said. I glanced at him. His eyes were warm and cold at the same time. None of us were themselves down here.

"Keep going," said Maggie and went ahead to check the door. She couldn't open it. Negan had a crowbar with him, so he stepped closer, exchanged glances with Maggie, then she stepped aside to give room to Negan. She glanced at me too as she passed by me. She went to her friends who checked if everything was okay with her. I looked at Negan he was struggling to get the door open.