Chapter 53 - "Friends"

Quinn, Hilltop

"We should retreat! There are too many!" yelled Luke. Yumiko and I agreed and we started to head back to the wall. Connie got Magna and pulled her away from the fight.

I sensed there was something going on with Yumiko and Magna, but I wasn't in the mood for their personal drama when I already had mine.

I hurried inside and washed my arms and face. I was covered in dead blood. It was already morning. I bumped into Jerry in the corridor.

"Where's Ezekiel?" I asked him.

"I don't know, he said he has something to do and he headed to the stable to get his horse."

I rolled my eyes. He chose the perfect time to deal with his emotions too. Am I the only one who can put it aside when something terrible happens, like the fell of the wall?

I drank a lot of water, then I headed out to continue killing walkers. After a while, Magna joined me. We glanced at each other, then we were taking them down one by one without saying a word.

Around afternoon we stopped.

"Are you angry about something?" I asked her. She nodded.

"Yeah. You too?" she asked. I nodded as well. We headed back to wash and drink again, then we went back outside to continue clearing walkers. I didn't want to ask Magna about her struggle and she didn't ask about mine either. We were just two women, equally angry and frustrated, killing walkers. People came to help us, someone gathered the corpses on a pile and burned them.

We continued into the night. I felt now what Alexandrians had to go through. I haven't slept either. Night fell and we were still clearing them when I heard the noise of the gate.

Michonne arrived with Eugene and Judith to help us. I didn't greet them, I turned my back on them and kept killing walkers.

It went on for a while when finally, it seemed we got them all. I was glancing around in the dark, panting. I saw Michonne, Judith, and Eugene in the distance doing the same. My eyes locked with Eugene's for a moment, then I turned around and headed back to my room, but they came after me and stopped me before I reached the building.

"Hi, Quinn," said Michonne.

"Leave me alone," I growled and tried to continue my way, but they didn't let me.

"I want to apologize," started Michonne, but Ezekiel who turned out to be okay now came to us in a hurry.

"Michonne, Daryl's on the radio. Something happened with Negan," he said. My heart skipped a beat.

"I'm coming with you," I stated as Michonne looked at me. She nodded.

"Eugene, take Judith and help her wash her hands," she said. Eugene nodded, glanced at me then they left. I headed upstairs with Michonne without saying a word.

Michonne sat by the radio, but before she could press the button I spoke:

"Don't tell Daryl that I'm here. Let him speak to you," I said. Michonne nodded. Guilt all over her face.

"This is Michonne, what happened Daryl?" she asked. Daryl told her what happened to Lydia and the bullies and that Negan accidentally killed one of them by helping Lydia. I gasped for air. He acted like a hero again. Michonne glanced at me, I was smiling, spaced out, tears stinging my eyes.

Just when they ended the discussion Michonne turned to me. I was crouching by the wall, smiling and crying at the same time. Michonne stepped to me and crouched in front of me, then I felt she hug me.