Chapter 6 - Runaway

I didn't dream about anything, but my subconscious somehow reminded me that I'm at the cell with Negan. I woke up. I realized Negan was sitting next to me on the other side of the bars and my head was on his shoulder. He was holding my hand too. He was asleep. I looked towards the window, it was still dark outside, but it was quiet. No storm. I felt my pocket, I still had the key to his cell. He could've taken it easily, but he didn't. I felt like maybe I could trust him. Maybe.

I felt disturbing things.

Should I stay or should I go home? I didn't want to wake him up.

His face was so close to mine. He was breathing slowly, I felt his breath on my cheek. Just as I was staring at him, he suddenly opened his eyes. I found myself an inch away from his face. I quickly backed away.

"Sorry I woke you up. The storm is over."

He looked at the window with very sleepy eyes. I quickly leaped to my feet.

"I'm leaving. I'll come back in the morning."

"Don't go out in the dark. You don't even have a flashlight. Come back and sleep."

"You didn't take the key. You know exactly where I keep it."

He looked at me, more awake now.

"I told you. I deserve this. I don't want to go out. If I went out, they would kill me."

"That's for sure."

This whole situation was so awkward, I wanted to escape. He leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes. He looked handsome.

No.

He is Negan. He is a murderer. He is not handsome.

I rushed out into the night.

The sun's first rays were visible at the horizon. I quickly got to my house. I locked the door behind me and took some deep breathes. What the actual hell happened?

Images of a hug, holding hands, and smiles flashed before my eyes. I felt some strange warmness inside me. My hands were slightly shaking.

I should think about Daryl. Fast. I was trying to recall his blue eyes, his face, his voice, his angel-winged vest, his crossbow... But at the same time, brown eyes kept coming into my head.

No.

This can't be.

I washed my face and lay on my bed. I tried to sleep, but I kept seeing blue and brown eyes, smiles...

Daryl never smiled at me. I kept seeing Negan's smile.

I felt his hug.

No, stop! I had to force myself to stop thinking about such things.

I didn't sleep at all. Morning came. I prepared his breakfast.

My hands were shaking as I went to him.

I took a deep breath before I went down. Michonne stopped me.

"Everything alright?" she asked.

"Yes, why?"

"I'm sorry I sent you back to Negan last night, but you were still safer down there than out here."

"He didn't do anything to me. Actually... I had a panic attack and he helped." Michonne frowned her eyebrows. I shouldn't have told her that. I always speak before I think.

"I'm scared of storms," I added fast. She looked at me suspiciously.

"Okay. Tell me if anything's wrong with him."