Chapter 35 - Alive

Quinn, Hilltop

I opened my eyes, they felt so heavy. I looked around, the sun was shining outside. I saw Eugene on the bed next to mine, he was reading a book. My belly hurt like hell and my jaw was still in pain. Eugene noticed that I was moving.

"Good morning!" he said, he put down the book. "How are you?" he asked quietly.

"Hurts," I said, but I didn't really want to talk because my jaw hurt, so I said it with the least movement I could manage.

"I know. You will be okay in no time. Siddiq just left, but he will tell you everything."

"How long?" I asked.

"You were asleep about 14 hours if I'm correct."

I was too tired to even widen my eyes or to react in any way.

He reached out and took my hand. I looked at Eugene, I saw he was clean, he must have showered while I was asleep. I liked his Pocahontas hairstyle. I smiled at him, weakly. He smiled back at me and caressed my hand. Siddiq just came back.

"Good morning, Quinn!" he stepped to me immediately as he saw I was awake. "I already checked your wound, I changed gauze and Enid washed you while you were asleep. Everything went well, without complications. You just have to stay in bed and heal," he smiled at me.

I smiled weakly at him too and I slightly nodded.

"How long?" I asked.

"Don't talk, please! You might break your jaw, you put a lot of pressure on it, you shouldn't talk for at least four days. You hear me? No talking!" said Siddiq seriously. I nodded. He continued. "I'm afraid you have to stay in bed for about two months."

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

Rosita just came back to the room and lay in the other bed next to mine. I didn't even realize she was here. She smiled at me.

"What did I miss?" asked Rosita.

"She's fine, she's in pain, but she'll recover," said Siddiq.

"It was a hell of a night. I was scared you might turn into a walker in any minute," said Rosita, without thinking, then she realized what she said. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean...! I was just saying you were sleeping really deeply! I'm sorry," she said and put her hand on my shoulder. "I didn't mean it."

I won't lie, it hurt a little, that she thought I was dying.

"She wasn't dying. She was just really tired," said Siddiq quietly.

"I know! I was just saying stupid things. Sorry!"

I nodded slightly. I pointed my finger at her stomach, then I gave a thumbs up, I tried to congratulate on the baby.

"Oh, thank you. It's not really public yet, but I guess you figured it out," she said. "I never thought I would be pregnant one day. Not after what Maggie has been through..."

I took her hand and squeezed it a little. She smiled at me. Aaron entered the infirmary.

"Hey!" he greeted all of us. He stepped closer.

"Before you ask, she is fine," said Eugene. I smiled, I tried to hold back laughter, not to hurt my jaw.

"That's good news," said Aaron smiled at me, then his smile faded away at once, he continued. "So... uh... Michonne asked me to get you guys going. We're heading back to Alexandria."