Chapter 46 - Fallen Kingdom

Quinn, Hilltop

Two months later

I was standing on the meadow facing Jesus, several meters between us. He nodded and we started to walk in a hurry towards each other. He tried to hit me with his fist, but I successfully dodged and kicked his calf from behind. He turned around quickly and tried again, and I dodged again. I couldn't help but smile.

"You are really fast," he said breathing heavily. "We have been practicing only for two weeks, what the hell?"

"Thank you," I laughed.

"Now let's see if you can attack," he said while straightening up. I calmed my breathing, then I started to run towards him. I jumped on his thigh, kicking myself upwards, while I grabbed his neck and pulled him to the ground. We both fell, but I arrived in a half-kneeling, half crouching position while he was on his back completely.

"Wow," he said chuckling as he gathered himself. "I'm proud of you."

"Thank you, Jesus. You're a good teacher."

"You are learning fast".

We both smiled. I took his hand and pulled him up from the ground.

"I'm really determined."

"I can see that. How's your stomach?" he asked.

"Hurts a little, but tolerable."

"Okay, don't push it just yet. We should head back to Hilltop anyway. Kingdom residents might arrive in any minute."

I nodded. We headed back towards the gate.

I felt sorry for the Kingdom's fate, but I was also excited to meet everyone again.

Not long after we got back, the gate opened, with Ezekiel leading his people. I was searching for Carol and Daryl with my eyes.

I saw Henry and Lydia walking hand in hand. I wish I could see Carol and Daryl in the same way. Soon, I found them, but unfortunately, they weren't holding hands. I hurried towards them and I hugged Carol.

"It's been a while again," I smiled at her.

"Yeah," she smiled back at me.

"I'm sorry about the Kingdom."

"Me too."

She seemed strange. Something was off. I hugged Daryl as well.

"Hi," I said. Daryl just nodded.

I turned back to Carol.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Let's talk inside, shall we? I'm freezing," she said. I nodded and led them to the hall. Henry and Lydia followed us in silence. I waited for them to settle down a little. In the meantime, I greeted Henry too.

"This is Lydia, I don't think you met yet," he introduced us.

"Nice to meet you, Lydia, I'm Quinn. We actually met, I was there when she was captured, but we never talked to each other."

"I haven't seen you at Hilltop back then," she said.

"Yes, I was locked in the infirmary. But now I'm okay, completely healed."

"I'm sorry, I didn't visit you back then, but... I was busy," said Henry glancing at Lydia.

"Yeah, I get it. Don't worry. Go sit by the fire," I smiled at them, patted Henry's shoulder, then I started to look for Carol. I saw her going somewhere with Ezekiel. I didn't want to interrupt them, so I sat down in a corner. Daryl approached me.