Chapter 17 - Aggression

Author's notes: Listen to "By the Grace of God" by Katy Perry before reading. ❤︎

...

Quinn, Kingdom

I opened my eyes. I saw white, very white, everywhere. I had to blink a few times to get used to the bright sunlight that was coming through the window. I was lying in a bed. Two figures were sitting next to me. My vision started to clear. The two figures were Carol and Daryl, right beside my bed. They seemed relieved.

"How are you, honey?" Carol asked quietly, caressing my hand, smiling at me faintly. I looked at her. I remembered immediately she told Daryl about me and Negan. They are the reason I can't see him ever again. I took my hand away from Carol. She stopped smiling.

"You..." I started, but my voice was so hoarse I could hardly speak. Carol offered me a glass of water. I ignored it. I tried to sit up.

"You shouldn't get up so soon," she said worryingly.

"You..." I started again, my voice still hoarse, but a little bit stronger than the first time. "You are the reason I can't see him ever again," I said as angry as I could, but I was so weak and my voice was hoarse and shaky I didn't sound as fierce as I wanted to. I saw Daryl take his eyes off of me and started staring at the ground. Carol glanced at him, then turned to me again.

"You should rest, please, calm down," Carol said quietly.

"No," I said as fiercely as I could. "Why did you do this to me?"

Both of them were silent, they didn't dare to look at me or each other. They felt guilty.

"I just wanted to help you, I want the best for you..." started Carol.

"What's best for me?" I asked aggressively.

Suddenly Daryl stood up and came closer to me.

"I'm so sorry, Quinn," he said. I didn't know why he was apologizing, but I didn't care anyway.

"Sorry for what? For getting me kicked out of Alexandria so I can never see Him again?"

Daryl looked uneasy.

"I'm sorry about everything. You deserve better. Better than me and definitely better than... him."

My eyes were furious, at least I hoped they seemed as furious as I felt.

"I don't want to see you ever again..." I stated.

"Calm down, please," said Carol again.

"Why am I not dead anyway?!" I asked angrily.

"You don't want to die," Daryl said.

I felt like I could explode from anger. He was wrong, I wanted to die.

"How dare you..." I said through gritted teeth, but Carol interrupted me.

"Daryl saved you," said Carol.

"How? Were you following me or what?" I asked.

"I was nearby," he said simply. Like I would believe that.

"You were following me because you still feel that you owe me," I said. I started coughing because I talked so much with a hoarse throat. Carol offered me the glass of water again. This time I took it and took a sip, but I looked at Carol like I was killing her with my eyes.

"Just... why?" I asked.

"I didn't want you to die," Daryl said. "I can't let you..." he seemed to be very uncomfortable like it caused him pain to form the words.