Chapter 69 - Family

Quinn & Negan, Alexandria

"Are you serious?!" I couldn't believe what I just heard.

Negan spread his arms, then shrugged his shoulder.

"I had to do it. I wanted to earn her trust," he said.

I still couldn't believe it. I stood up and started pacing, avoiding his eyes.

"Quinn... I am truly sorry," he said and stood up as well. I kept pacing, staring at the ground. He continued: "I didn't want to... but she trusted me easily this way," he tried to explain, but I was about to explode.

I stopped pacing, still avoiding his eyes.

"You had a relationship with that woman who murdered my friends..." I said, but just as I said it out loud, I realized what I said: "Geez... that's what everyone else thinks about me."

"No, it's not like that," he tried to explain. "I had no choice, I wanted to stay alive and earn her trust. Our case is entirely different."

I started pacing again.

"I have no idea what to say," I said frustrated.

"Don't forget that I thought... I thought you were..." he said like every word hurt him and couldn't even finish it.

I chuckled sarcastically.

"Now I wish I would really be."

"Don't say that, please."

"I just told Carol that I feel like we have to start all over again because so many years passed but... I had no idea something like this would come up."

Negan exhaled sharply.

"Quinn, I told you this, because I went through this situation once and I don't want to do it again."

"What are you talking about?"

"I cheated on Lucille. But it was even worse because that was my decision, I wasn't forced, I didn't do it because I was scared for my life. I did that because I wanted to do it and I told Lucille only at the very end when she was... I regret it. I should have told her or better, I should have never cheated in the first place. And I would never do that to you. I thought you were gone. I thought I'll never see you again, only maybe on the other side. But I would doubt even that because you would go to heaven and I will definitely go to hell. My point is, I wouldn't have done it if I had another option. I didn't think we would ever meet again and I had to save my ass."

I listened to him, then I exhaled furiously. Finally, I looked him in the eye.

"I have no idea what to say. You are right, you thought I was dead, I understand that on the logical level... but at the same time I'm so fucking angry, and..." my mouth winced. I didn't want to cry in front of him. I didn't finish the sentence, I headed to the door, to escape. I couldn't stop my tears. Just as I couldn't stop my anger.

"Quinn! I'm sorry!" he said to my back as I was leaving. He followed me to the door, but then, he stopped. I hurried away. I saw Daryl from the corner of my eye, this time he was smoking a cigarette on Michonne's porch. He threw it away and sprang to his feet as soon as he saw me crying.

"What did you do to her?" he asked approaching Negan with long steps, he looked scary. I stopped to watch what was happening. Negan held up his hands innocently.

"I told her something, that upset her. But it's none of your business," he said defensively. Daryl pushed Negan's chest.

I was so upset, I didn't want any more drama. I just wanted to run away, so I did. I ran to the pond. It was a beautiful afternoon, too beautiful to ruin it like this. When I got there, I collapsed on my knees, my tears falling. I sat down, pulled up my knees, and put my forehead on them. I was sobbing quietly when I heard footsteps. I didn't know who it was, I didn't care either. That someone sat next to me. After a couple of minutes, I held up my head to look who it was. I was surprised to see Daryl. He looked me in the eye curiously. He looked like hell. I was sure he had another fight with Carol because of Carol's happy hour with Ezekiel. I turned my gaze at the pond.